Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of CB??

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Aug 17, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

What kind of CB would be smart to get?? I know the Cobras are pretty hot, but I'm not sure. I want to complete my circle, the guys in my fraternity think I'm a "redneck," so I'm going to show them a lil' REDNECK'n!! Anyway, I wanted one for a long time, but just want to make the right decision. I also want a big ass whip antenna too. Let me know what you guys think. Also, where is the best place to mount the antenna?? Thanks.

Alex
    [​IMG]What me get stuck? NEVER!![​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have used Cobra quite a bit but have found that if you open a Cobra it has Uniden parts or vice versa. So you may be able to save cash by buying a uniden.

As far as the whip, I haven't heard anythign bad about them and for mounting, most say the best place is square inthe middle of the roof, but with a big whip that would probably be too high.
    One of my ideas would be running a long whip and tie it down above the passenger door, but I dont know what tying down would do for reception(similar to a military style)..

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Dont get a CB, get a export radio. More versatile than a regular CB, it has CB, AM, and 10 meter. Usually when you buy one it only has the CB function activated, but a shop can get all of them working for you. You have to have a license to operate on the 10-meter band, though. Also some company's sell the radios with all bands fully operational. http://www.exportradios.com. I think tying the antenna down will have little affect on the transmission/reception. 102" works the best. You can mount it on the side of the quarters or the bumper, easier to mount it on the bumper, though and you dont have to hack into the quarters.

[​IMG] Sept 1

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

The original owner of my blazer had a bracket that bolted to the inside of the back of the rig, where the tailgate closes into. I don't know if you get what I am saying. If you don't, I will snap a picture if you want. Just my $0.02.

Dawson
    88 K5

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I got the Cobra 18ST(?something like that) I love it man. A million times better than the old CB I had on my S10 before I sold it. I think it was a Maxon brand( the old one). Anyways, I have a 10ft long fiberglass whip antenna. I mounted it on the left side of the rear bumper. Seems to work great. I also put the old tennis ball trick on there so it'll bounce off the top. This antenna takes a lot of abuse from trees.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]