Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of color printer should I get?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CK5, Nov 26, 2004.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What kind of color printer should I get, making a trip to BestBuy later. Anything I should consider as far as features etc..

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm pretty happy with my Lexmark X5270. It's a cheapy, but has worked flawlessly. Bought at Bestbuy

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I dont know what you had in mined.
    Deana has a XEROX wax printer which she does all her real estate flyers and open house flyers on and misc contracts.

Goto www.freecolorprinters.com
    You will have to do a 3 year contract and minimum of 2000
    pages per month. Well worth looking into remember if you are shy of your 2000 pages you can print the letter a on how ever pages you are short.
    Hope this helps or makes sence if not call me.

Bo

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

We have those xerox wax printers at work...the rock. For home we have a few HP's and just got a 2510 it does about everything we need.

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I have a HP Photosmart 7960 that works excellent! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Go to this link for reviews!

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Epinions is a good site for reviews.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

http://www.freecolorprinters.com/

How they make their money is for you to buy your supplies from them.

HOWEVER- CDW sells all the supplies, and will give you black wax for free. At least I've always gotten them for free. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I just got this one for xmas today /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    It prints REALLY nice, it has tri-color, photo, Black, B&W photo cartidges and its small, stainless steel body, made for an office environment /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    It was $129 on sale at Staples

[​IMG]

For me its HP printers, Umax scanners, if had to buy a computer it would be a Dell (I'd rather build my own), HP laptops, and Microsoft keyboards and mice
    I've had an HP Deskjet 722c for about 5-6years now, worked great, printed great up until the rubber drive belt dried out and fell apart /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Dads 722c just done the same thing about 2 months after mine did... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

http://www.freecolorprinters.com/

Fill out the form, and tell them that your a low volume user- (even if your not). Get supplies from them once every 6 months.

Rest of the time, order from CDW- after 3 years, you have no commitment to them, and you've saved about 1200 bucks from investing in a printer, on supplies you would have needed to buy anyways.

WAX is great for a lot of things, usually its the initial cost that kills it.

Inkjet has a very low initial cost, but the cost of ink is what gets you. (30-50 bucks for cartriges) I Have the epson 4500, photo quality, scanner, etc, but with seperate ink tanks. Seperate ink supplies are key!!!! otherwise you end up tossing the tri color or quad color cartridges as soon as one color is empty.

Color lasers are also very good- The Lexmark C series are really good, but they are big. Color Laser printers. They have one of the lowest cost per page and they have large cartridges. Also fast, some 17-20ppm in color mode.

Hope this helps.

11. jjlaughner

Price ink cartridges not printers /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

hp psc 1200. Scans, fax's, photocopies, oh yeah prints good too.

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

a printer that shows us what is going on with the blazer formerly known as the "UAV"......
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

stev, be sure you check into the cost of crartidge refils when you do buy whatever you buy. you can find a printer that prints nice and is 79 dollars, but ink is 22.95 for the nice refils. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    grant

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Listen to JJ... He knows what he's talking about. Oh and I used to be a copier/fax/printer technician. I agree with the HPs being the best. Yes, price the supplies, not the machine.

15. jjlaughner

Maybe it has something to do with that printing degree I have that I hate doing /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, I do have an HP laserjet B&W that I bought 10 years ago and still works awesome so I kind of like HP printers but will look at others. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

HP I like for lasers, I hate them for inkjets, I've had 3 in my life and they work great for a year or two then you have problems with rollers. Epson seems to make a good quality printer for color stuff.
    lexmark unless they have gotten better quality stuff in the last 5 years I"d avoid. there is a reason they give them away free with computers.

none the less, I'd stick with your laser for B&W stuff if it's for you. and buy something for color. more economical that way.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

DON'T get a Lexmark.

I had to call for tech support on mine and the lady in India told me it was a, "Tempermental electronic device."

I asked her how someone 12,000 miles away was going to fix my printer. She suggested I try it, I did, and over an hour later it still wouldn't print and she said take it in for repair.

I threw it across the room and used the backup printer. Next time it's HP for me. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

get something picture quality, I'm dissapointed in my xerox 470cl /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    hp psc 1200. Scans, fax's, photocopies, oh yeah prints good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto here, just bought ours in August and it works very good for the money.

Rene