Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of engine do I have?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jonathan, May 29, 2001.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I can't figure what kind of engine I have.
    The dude I bought my Blazer from said it had a new motor in it, I doubt this as it smokes a little when it's cold and leaks quite a bit.
    Said it was a 350 but I figure I get about 5 or 6 mpg in the city, and think I should be getting better.
    Engine looks more like the big block picture in my shop manual than the small block picture.
    I can't seem to find the casting numbers on the block.
    Thanks for any help.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go check how many bolts are holding the valve covers down. If there are 4 bolts per cover, its a small block. If there are 7 bolts on a cover, its a big block.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

3. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

4 bolts-small block
    Now, what size?

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This gets a little trickier here. If you can go out and lay on your back, check the harmonic balancer on the back side (not the pulley side) and check it out for a long groove on the corner of it. Also check the block under the exhaust manifolds to see how many freeze plugs there are. A groove in the balancer and 3 freeze plugs on one side will tell you that it is a 400 small block.
    The way to distinguish a 350 from a 305 is a little harder too. The best way to tell, and not always accurate, is to check the size of the harmonic balancer. A big one is a 350 and smaller one is 305, but not always. I have seen 305's with a 350-sized balancer.
    There are some numbers stamped on the block. One set would be on the front part on the passenger side right in front of the heads. There is a "tab" sticking out forward of the heads and its the forward part of the block. There are numbers stamped in there and you can decode those at your local dealership. The other numbers are castings on the side of the block down under the exhaust manifold and the others on the back, by the bell housing, top part of the block, behind the drivers side heads. They can be a pain to get to. A light and mirror are handy tools to check for them.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

5. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow when it's not raining and I have some light.
    Anything else?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe the "suffix codes" (if not a crate motor) will be on a flat pad on the front of the block (facing front of truck) right below where the head bolts to the block. Can't remember which side, and even if the suffix code IS in the front. Either the partial VIN or suffix code will be up front. Suffix code is a 3 digit code, and if you find it, http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

7. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Does the glovebox still have a sticker in it with codes on it?

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

8. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

Oops....new motor, not a rebuild....forget the glove box codes...

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

"it smokes a little when it's cold and leaks quite a bit"

Well, that could be an old or new Chevy [​IMG].

For leaks, check the valve covers and oil pan first and if that doesn't fix it move to stuff sticking out of the block, like the oil pressure sender. Otherwise, it could be the rear main. Fortunately, most crate motors use the two-piece.

If your smoke is black, it could be running rich. Check the choke. A blue-gray smoke indicates oil burning (plus the smell). Anyway, if you get rid of the leaks, you can tell how much oil it's burning by keeping track of how much it's using.

<font color=green>Why does everyone worry about my gas mileage, but not think twice about an Excursion owner?</font color=green>

10. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

Thanks, it almost looks like it's coming out of the filler cap, but surely not this much, I know the "seal" is shot but it leaks alot.
    Are valve cover and oil pan seals easy to replace (one-day job).