Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHAT KIND OF FRONT END DO I HAVE???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blublaz57, Jan 27, 2003.

1. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

ok blew out my lockrite locker and had no spider gears to replace it ,but i have a d44 w/373s out of a jimmy (79)so i go to get the spider gears,pop the cover wow something i never seen before ,i removed the shaft tht holds everything together and had to remove a spring tensioner that kept pressure on the axle gears ,then i puul the little gears out (no problem)then i go to pull the axle gears out and they have pressure plates on them that fit into a little groove kinda like clutches. maybe could it be a limited slip or what i dont know thanks Don

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

It is definately a 12 bolt.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

they never made a 12 bolt front end. It say its a dana 44 with a gov lock in the front axle. some truck had that insted of open diff..

4. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

right it is a 10 bolt . so is a gov lock better than a open diff?ive only heard bad things about them .could someone tell me just how a gov lock works????thanks Don

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

sure. you step on the gas hard and it explodes into millions of tinny pieces. gov-locks suck royally. I blew mine apart in the rear on the street with 32" tires. There are some sweet pics of destroyed 10 bolts with the govlock to blame. I saw one yesterday that was awesome.

Govlocks are supposed to work like a l/s and lock up if they sense enough wheel spin or somthing. They don't work half the time from what I hear and then the other half it seems like they are destroying themselves.

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

gov bomb + big tires + Horse power = /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifBOOM!, scraged gov lock /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

gov-lock + stock 350 + 32's = boom .... You don't even need big tires or high HP's.

8. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Do you actually think I was serious? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Well, you sounded it, its hard to tell sarcas on the net! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Most should have gotten it with as many of the 12B front threads that have been on here. Then again, someone had to make all those posts. A /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif would have helped.

11. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Hell, I'm never serious about anything. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I've seen this monster in Don's truck and unless the front GovLok is different from the rear Govlok, it's not a Govlok. There is no cam that flips or even resembles a GovLok. The side gears are splined on the outside and have clutch packs. There is a large S spring in the middle that the pin goes throush. I'm thinking like an old Eaton, maybe?

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

That is an Eaton limited slip, or Posi. They were optional in some years in front Dana 44s on GM trucks.