Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of grease, Marine?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jan 9, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Was wondering what kinda grease to use on all of the zerks that have been neglected on the burb the the PO's for the last 10 years. Muddytazz suggested marine grease, as it repels water, which would be good for my type of driving. I had a tube of it in my hands at wal mart today, it was 3 bucks. But I didn't get it, thought I would post up and ask about one thing first. On the tube it said "do not mix different types of grease, use solvent to clean off all old grease before changing". Is this really true? I could'nt just keep greasing till all the old stuff was forced out? If I have to use some sort of solvent, what type, and what meathod?
    thanks in advance,
    James

2. FoolSizeK5

FoolSizeK5 Registered Member

maybe not a problem

I think the main differance between the two or so i've been told is the marine grease has little to no filler or grit in it to help it deal with the environment of water better for some reason from what i've been told. Don't see why adding marine to your application would cause a problem ? might not last as long be more prone to dripping out more so in hot weather. But i'm not 100% sure on that. Think the rule of not mixing types to keep you from going the other way and putting grease with more grit or filler in it into a application that isn't supposed to handle the grit. I feel sure that the marine grease would not hurt the fittings on a truck or car.

3. 78Suburban

4. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i use mobil1 synthetic grease in everything i own. i found it to last longer than regular automotive grease and is extremly water repelent.

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I use marine grease. Works well for me.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Where did you buy the Mobil 1 synthetic grease?

7. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

local autozone, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I tried Marine grease in the Dune Buggy. Did not work very well. I get 7-10 times the wheel bearing life from CV joint grease and water doesn't bother it either.

9. 78Suburban

Those of you that have run marine or synthetic, did it hurt to mix it with the old grease? was there a method of removing the old grease? I should have made this thead a poll :p:
    thanks,
    James

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

IMO the marine grease last longer. I have been using the the Yamaha brand for several years now and have had no problems. Oh it gets pretty hot out here too so I don't see that being a problem.