Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of headers do yall use

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James90, Jan 21, 2003.

1. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a set of shorty headers that will give me a little more bottem end and work with my TBI and I am going to put a 2.5 or 3" exhaust

I was woundering what kind of headers yall used.

I have a 90 witha TBI 350 and an RV style cam.

Thanks

2. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

my buddy got a set of shorties from summit and I was very supprised with the quality. the flanges were 3/8 and the tubing wasn't paper thin. I don't think he payed very much for them either.

-Scott

3. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Hey James, can't help ya with the Headers, but was wondering where you got your seats. They look bad ass...I am buying a 90 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif myself and can't wait to start throwing money into it...Keep me updated on your headers cause I will be doing many upgrades to it and need all the ideals I can get...Good luck with your truck...

T

4. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

I have Edelbrock and am very happy with 'em. I think the low-end was a little sacrificed, though, and I had to hole them out to make 'em fit (hydraulic clutch).
    Got 'em through summitt.

5. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I was looking at thos summit headers too

Triger I got my seats from Corbeau and I really like them they hold you in tight.

I still need to put them in my new Blazer

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have the Edelbrock TES system on my 89 TBI 350. I like it. it was an easy bolt on with no mods. Had it on over 3 years now with no problems or leaks. They did help on the low end also. I backed them up with a single 3" flowmaster exhaust system. I tow a bit and it pulls very well.

7. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

NOT Flowtech from Autozone. They are supremely crappy. Although the folks were good about honoring the lifetime warranty, headers should not need that kind of warranty.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I have the Dynomax headers on my 454 and they kindof suck. They hang down low and mre or less get in the way of everything. I thinking about a set of shorty's myself. I ran Dynomax on my small block and they worked out much better.

9. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I have the Edelbrock (T.E.S.) on my 85' with an 88' TBI. I'm happy with it. They say that it is made only for the automatic tranny. But I have the sm465 swapped in, and I got it to work with VERY little problem. It's a little close to the Hydro-slave, but no problem with it so far.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Why shorties over standards?

I kind of see a consensus building that you give up some increases with the shorties vs. the standard length headers. Heck, it may already have been proven definitively, but what little info I've found says thats the way it is.

I haven't yet installed a set, (I will though, thats too much power to let the manifolds suck up : ) a friend of mine says a problem he has seen with full length headers is that they hang down too far on these trucks, and at least one person here says thats the case too apparently. I can't believe that in one of these trucks, a full length header can't be fit just as easily as a shorty. Of course, that just depends on the header manufacturer and frame, but still, lots of space down there!

Glad to hear that some are clearing the hyde. setup ok, the manufacturers I have spoken to say they aren't made for the manual trans trucks. Lazy companies.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

In my honest opinion, you can't go wrong with the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers. I also think it's well worth the extra $$$ for the coated ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

To be more exact for you, the small block Dynomax long headers worked fine. they cleared and I had no problems. On the BB, I had to grind the flang to clear the driveline and had to cut the spring bolt shorter to clear the header. The collector sits about 6" infron of the tranny crossmember making exaust difficult. Especially with the "L" bracket on the transfer case. All of this is on the passenger side. the drivers side was still ok.

13. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have Hooker competitions on my truck, they are full legnth and have worked great, someone said they are having a problem with their headers being too low, it has not been an issue for me. I have never hit anything with them that I know of. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have a set of Thorley Tri-Ys. Excellent results. Great construction. I bought them used, so no chrome was left. I had to paint them with aluminum color heat resistant paint. Still look good.

15. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the Edelbrock TES headers for my Blazer

and they have one with A.I.R.
    and one with out

What is A.I.R. and how do i know if I have it?

Thanks

16. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I have a TPI 350 with a mild RV cam and I run Summit 88-98 shorty headers made by Flow-Tech

17. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've also got Hooker Competition headers and their exhaust pipe kit which is 2.25". The headers aren't full length in my opinion but they certainly aren't shorties. Maybe 3/4 length? They fit fine with removal of the passenger side bumpstop and they don't hang down.

The pipe kit is worth more like $60 instead of $110 or whatever I paid for it. I'll probably have holes before summer and I only put it on last March. The headers are lasting much better than expected. I only expect two winters and as of right now I think they'll make it past that.

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You say you've never hit anything with them, but the real question is, do they hang down far enough so that you can see them? From the side of my truck, you can't see the exhaust at ALL until the exits behind the rear wheels.

Of course the chances of catching the headers on something (especially me) is very unlikely, still, the headers don't NEED to hang down that low.

19. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Nope, if you are standing beside my truck you can't see any of the exhaust under the truck except for the mufflers and you can see them thru the rear fender well just above and in front of the rear axle. I have seen cars and trucks that have headers that hang down a long way, that is not the case with mine, they fit the way I think they should.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have Edelbrock's TES. Works for me. They prolly arent the best headers out there, but thats ok. I might get a big block before these wear out anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

AFA what "how do I know if I have AIR", if you look on your emmissions diagram thing under your hood, Im pretty sure it shows AIR on there and how it hooks up.

J