Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of headers do you run?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87project, Dec 14, 2002.

1. 87project

87project Registered Member

My 87 Jimmy w/305 tbi needs a crankshaft,I don't want to rebuild a 305,so I picked up a 78 Chevy C-10 van with a rebuilt 350 (20,000 on it) for a motor swap.On the Jimmy I just got two 40 series Flowmasters w/no cats and two and a half inch pipes all the way.My question is what kind of headers do I need to pick up?Does 4 wheel drive make a difference?Thanks for any info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've had the Dynomax headers on a few different motors and have had no problems. They are pretty cheap too.

3. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

a buddy of mine picked up a set of shorty summit headers for his blazer and I was pretty impressed. the flanges were atleast 3/8 maybe 7/16, and they sealed very well. the tubes also weren't as thin as your run of the mill cheapie headers you pick up for 100 bucks. pretty afforbadle too.

-Scott

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Run shortys. No collector gaskets to blow out, and they wont hit your shackle bolts. Heres mine
    [​IMG]

5. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

do you need a custom Y-pipe to run shorties?

6. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">Yeah.

7. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

if you run a y-pipe with headers isnt that kind of pointless. Because all that "free-flowing" exhaust gets stuck at the the point where both sides of the y-pipe meet. It is pretty much a bottleneck. So why spend the money on headers and a custom y-pipe if your not gonna notice much of a difference?

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I run Edelbrock TES on my 383, full-length and fit great. They are also coated for longevity. Needed cutom exhaust afterwards, so I had the muffler shop build a y-pipe to cross over behind the transfer case and connect to a flowmaster /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I run Edelbrock TES shorty headers, they bolted rite up, came with every imaginable spacer/ adapter, and a high flow y pipe.

No problems
    Matt

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I like my Hooker Competition headers. I got the pipe kit to go with it. The headers came with a spacer to use the AC bracket.

11. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Im running flowtech Afterburner headers. Says they give you more torque, but I just liked the price. They have been working awsome and add to a good sound.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

NOT Flowtech headers from Autozone (or anywhere else)! They might have a lifetime warranty, but they need it. Spend the $$ for a decent set....it IS worth it.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm planning on getting the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers in the future.

14. Chris Demartini

<font color="blue">My y-pipe is 3", no bottleneck there /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. As long as the right pipe size is used and it is mandrel bent, single exhaust will make the same power as dual exhaust.

15. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I just put a set of Dynomax headers on mine a few weeks ago. They bolted right up and have good clearance. Can't beat them for $100 at S /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifummit.

16. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

JBA's. Not the greatest engineering with these turkeys. Got to modify the a/c bracket, bolt and spark plug access sucks ass. Need one strait boot plug wire on #5, the rest 90 deg. boots. Funky. They exit to a y pipe w/ a Blowlouder collector then 3in pipe, hi-flow cat, blowmaster muff, and a chrome tip (for pimp status). You will need to watch the flexplate on your swap. 87 is one piece rr main. 78 2 piece rr main.
    Jim

17. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

i see what you are saying BIGRAY but i still slightly disagree. i dont think that your three inch pipe is gonna flow as well as my dual 2.5 inch pipes. I dont think your gonna notice though unless your on the dyno. <font color="red"> </font color> (Any thoughts on this: I've had some people tell me that with hydraulic lifters; if your exhaust is to free flowing it can hurt you because your valves will not open as quickly. A little backpressure is needed. How much is to "free-flowing"? Is it gonna matter if your running anything but open headers?)