Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of hubs were they?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

The other day I was working and found a good parts truck. I couldn't get a year but I know it's a 3/4 ton 4x4. I'd guess mid to late 70's because of gas cap. The front axle didn't have a manual locking hub but it didn't have a dust cap like most full time hubs have. It had a cover that was bolted on with 6 bolts and in the center of the cover was another dust cover that was missing off one side and it looked like the end of the axleshaft was sticking out. There was no tranny or t-case so that's about it. Just wanted to know what it was before I drag it home.Thanks, Russell

2. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

That's a fulltime Dana 44. It's got the drive flanges instead of hubs or anything. Not worth much at all to me. My parts truck has the same things.

Kyle
    89K5

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Thats an external style D44. Thats about a 73-74 truck. If it just has a chrome cap thats the normal internal D44 thats locked for full time use. That truck had full time 4x4. I beleive that axle has a smaller u-joint and finding locking hubs is hard. I would look for a newer internal style. Parts are more plentifull.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    No it does not have the smaller wheel joint. Its a Spicer 5-297X.
    the smaller wheel joints are on the 1st generation 4X4's like 69-72, some may have spilled over to 73 1/2 tons,
    but my books don't show the spill over for 3/4 ton's.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

That style of hub was used on 3/4 tons from 1960 through mid year 1977. Locking hubs are VERY easy to find for these. The original locking hubs were huge Spicer units with yellow locking center ('73-77), red ones ('70-72), and an older style all metal one with a small turn lever on the pre '70s. The u-joints are the bigger ones from '73 and up. I love this syle of locking hub over the internal spline style, as trying to get out that large internal snap/o-ring on the internal style hubs is a royal PITA!!! Hey, BTW, does anyone have any good ideas for easy removal of those things???

ken

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Pocket Knife with a little bend on the end. Or bend the end of the ring in an "S" shape.