Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of kit for a 700r4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Jan 3, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

OK, Got the trans. out of the blazer and the new one in. Now I've fot this 700r4 from an 84 blazer that I want to put in my 83 shortbed 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif. By the way, that's what the shortbed had in the first place. I'm running it on 31x 10.50's and use it to tow a short camper trailer as well as go on long trips. I'm running 3:42's in the diffs I think. (could be 3:73's I'd need to count teeth to be sure) Anyway, I was wanting to know what type of rebuild kit to get. I want it to be dependable. I know a shift kit will help but do I need to go with a high performance rebuild kit, or a standard. It will have about 300 hp from the 350 in front of it. And I usually take it pretty easy on this truck(unlike my k5 wich is a massochist. I keep abusing it and it starts up for more) I know the metalic clutches in the performance kits can be a little noisy, but I'm really looking for some life out of this one. I want the overdrive, but am trying to keep it simple so no later electronic versions. The guy doing the rebuild is great. I've tried and tried to kill some of the trannies he's rebuilt but couldn't yet. I already have a big stacked cooler that will be going in to keep it cool.Anyone got an opinion on the rerbuild and shift kit? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I would put the strongest, highest quality parts I could into that tranny. 300hp can be a lot for a 700R4 unless it's built right.

3. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Anybody running red eagle clutches and kolene steels with a trans go shift kit in a 700r4? Just wondering how harsh the shifting is for daily driving.