Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of oil for a Diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2LTrailblazer84, Aug 10, 2005.

1. 6.2LTrailblazer84

6.2LTrailblazer84 1/2 ton status

What kinds of oil can you use in a 84 6.2l diesel?

When I bought this truck it had a lot of SAE40 and it said SJ/SH on it... but I thought you were supposed to use oil that said "C" for compression..

Were they possibly using SAE40 because the truck was used in Southern California where it is always really warm?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I use Mobil 1 Delvac in my '97 6.5l turbo diesel engine, along with a mobil one filter, changes every 8-10k mi. Running 175,000mi or so, still runs strong.
    You can get the Mobil 1 delvac at most truck stops for $22-25/gallon. Mine takes 2 gallons.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i & our construction company, have always ran rotella

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we run Delo and Rotella in the diesels at work....

5. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

Rotella......

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

:eek1: , have you ever sent in a sample for analysis?
    The oil doesn't break down but the problem with the 6.2/6.5 is soot build up in the oil. They only have 2 compression rings compared to 3 for a CTD.

You want to make sure you get the proper "C" rated oil not "S" rated. Your weight will depend on ambient temps. Most run 15w-40 all year long. Mobil Delvac, Rotella T, Delo(sp?) etc. Personally I use either Rotella or Delvac 1300.

7. 73k5blazer

Your right about the soot. I bought the truck with 20k mi on it, and I've never seen the oil not black. I changed the oil lines and blew out the cooler with compressed air at 50k, (and replaced those pesky filter adaptor orings with proper orings), changed the oil at the same still, fired it up, within seconds, black again. I talked with many people about it, including the mecanic at the chevy dealer who did the injection pump replacment(under warranty), they say that's just the way it is with this engine, never gotton an oil analysis. Mabey I'll do that one of these days, where's the best place to have that done?

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Use CC/CD rated oil!!

I use Rotella "T" 15W40 in my 6.2 ,all year round......same with my VW Jetta diesel I had...you need CC/CD rated oil for diesel engines..you can use it in gas engines too,but dont use gas engine "SJ" oil in diesels,or diesel oil in old sludged up gas motors..it loosens the sludge up,and it will kill the motor..

Both of them the oil always looked like black paint!--even right after changing it!..I assumed it was normal,for EVERY diesel I changed or checked the oil in looked the same way..the oil is supposed to "trap" the soot in it!..I'd rather see the soot in the OIL than in the crankcase and other engine parts!.. :eek1:

We took a backhoe apart at the junkyard-I think we changed the oil once in 5 years!-it had a 4 cylinder detroit diesel in it..when we pulled the oilpan off,the oil was like tar!--it looked like the oil pan was still on!--looked like Jello!..the whole motor was FULL of it,only where the crank cut "paths" in the tar could you see any internal parts!..we were amazed ,because it actually ran pretty good! :eek1: :screwy: --the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating from 0 to 35 like a windsheild wiper for years!--we cleaned the oil pump screen out with gasoline,and washed as much tar out of the motor as we could..its still running today as far as I know! :crazy:

9. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I was working on my truck and had to go back out right after I posted this question.. no one was reponding so I called Autozone and they said that everyone who runs diesels just used normal oil when they bought it there.. i said "sj/sh"? And he said "yeah"..

Does anyone know where I can pick up some of this diesel oil in he El Cajon area of San Diego?

Also, how much oil does the 6.2L take?

And how much Transmission fluid does a 700 R4 take? It's a B&M transmission, will that make a difference?

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Delo, Rotella, or Delvac. All are great diesel oils.

While the 6.2 engine can run on regular oil, the diesel oil is much better, with better sheer and viscosity protection.

Most diesel oils are much better than regular oil!!

11. 73k5blazer

Most truck stops have all these diesel oils, in nice convient gallon size too.
    Pilot, TA, Petro, etc...

12. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I get my rotella from walmart. It is the cheapest place I have seen.

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Detroit Diesel recommends Mobil Delvac in their engines. Kenworth factory fills their trucks with Delo (I think), Never really seen Rotella recommended by an OEM. Popularity goes in this order : Delvac, Rotella, Delo

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I run Rotella T 15w-40(also bought at walmart)
    and I used to Run Conoco 30 weight oil that we get for our farm tractors, but when I put a quart or two in every week the big drum didnt last as long and dad caught wind of it...Ergo i had to start buying my own oil :doah:

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

rotella

16. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Is there a good synthetic to use, or stick with the regular stuff?

17. 73k5blazer

Mobil 1 Delvac is Synthentic

18. 6.2LTrailblazer84

Thanks for the info everyone! Very much appreciated.

I guess i will try the Rotella from Walmart. Do you have to use a special oil filter? or does it not matter?

Also, If you live in a very hot climate should you use straight 40 weight? Do they have Rotella in straight 40 weight?

19. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i run delo 15w-40 in our 230 cummins dump truck and back hoe. i also ran it in my 6.2 k5. on that particular k5 i ran 2 remote oil filters and a magnetic screen. my oil was always dark but not like black paint, but, i also changed it every 3000-4000 miles because i was told about the soot trapped in the oild because of the fewer rings by a gm mech. he told me to change it like i would a gas engine cuz soot is acidic and causes wear and decomposition of rubber o-rings and gaskets. i son found out that gets expencive when a 6.2 holds 10 quarts of oil (+i had 2 filters). between that and the constant problems and total lack of power even after i put a ATS turbo on it, i figured it was a money pit and an eye sore (it had a huge gash half way down the driverside just below the body line) and got rid of it. BUT i wish you luck and hope i just had a realy worn out 6.2 or a lemon.

balzer

20. 6.2LTrailblazer84

I like it so far. It has plenty of power for me, but I havn't had a truck with a gas engine either, so I don't really know what I might be missing. :laugh: