Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of oil for the rear end.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Sep 10, 2005.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I have a small leak in the gasket where my diff cover goes. I want to replace that today. What kind of oil should I use?
    Plus I want to see what kind of shape my rear end is in.
    Thanks
    Adam

2. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

Adam,
    I use sythetic gear lube in mine. I have use sythetic's since I spent a couple of years road racing sports cars, a few years back. I first used it in the constant velocity joints on the racecar, many folks were having problems tearing them up. I never in the two years experienced a lubricant related failure. Now missing a shift and over reving the thing (gianed a few extra engine pieces), getting up close and personal to the armco barrier (a few extra body and suspension pieces) I could not blame on lubricants. Except possibly I missed shifts more often in before changing the gearbox over to synthetic lube, it shifted much smoother and faster with the slippery, and granted expensive stuf. Also, if memory servs you will not find a gasket on the differential cover, I believe it is a layer of sealant.

BTW - my birthday is Sept 18 as well!

Les

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have a LS or some form of locker that requires it you should use Synthetic if not just good ole 80-90w

4. Guss

Guss Registered Member

just rebuilt mine and only put 80-90w in it and i beat the heck out of it its fine.

5. adamforsythe

Hello,
    Sweet, I will check it out. I want to get all of the leaks taken care of because I am going to be putting rust bullet on my '86 K5 next week as a birthday gift to myself. This will be the very last major project I will do to my truck this year. Next year I will be adding bigger tires, jacking my truck up 6", ETC.
    Thanks
    Adam

6. Igorr

Igorr Registered Member

Just remembered, if one has a limited slip with clutches like the old detroit locker, l do not think they recommend synthetic, it is too slick and the clutches will slip.

7. adamforsythe

I think I will just run good old 80-90w.
    Thanks
    Adam