Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of outlet is this? 110 or 220 or...????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 2, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Currently in my shop right now, there is a plugin on the wall we use for the table saw and I am almost possitive it is not 110volt plug in. It looks more like a dryer outlet,but I dont think it is a dryer outlet... I will go out and get pics in a second...

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

here are the pics:
    The first one was in a corner with hardly any light, sorry...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Check out the bottom of the plug where the copper sticks out !! Or just use a meeter and check .....its best !!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Crack it open and see how many wires are going ot it

5. Resurrection_Joe

And get me a picture of you already!

6. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

If there is a white, black and green wire it is 110! In most cases, 3 wires indicate 110!

It also appears to run on a 20 amp breaker, however 15 amp is possible.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

usually the plug will say right on it what voltage and amperage. That doesn't mean though that someone hasn't installed the wrong plug onto the item.

8. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

It's a 30 amp 250 volt Nema type plug. Figure 30 amp 220 line at the wall socket. If the blades look like they are the same width as a normal 110 outlet it could also be a 15 amp 250 volt plug.

Either way, it is without a doubt 250 volt (ie:220)

9. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Please don't assume that three wires are 110, this is a good way to ruin equpiment and get yourself hurt. In homes most 220 are run using 10/2, so there is only a black,white and a bare. Newer houses that are plug in type will have 4 wires. but if it is hardwired 220 will only have 3 and the white will be a hot. I will see if I can find reference, but it looks like a 30 amp 120 volt plug. ADDED: I can't seem to find a reference chart , we have one at the shop, best bet is to use a tester. Or look on the equipment it is supplying. Most of the Journeyman I work with can't look at plugs and tell accept the most commong :P As someone said it does usually say on plug.

2nd Year electrical apprentice

10. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Please don't assume that three wires are 110, this is a good way to ruin equpiment and get yourself hurt. In homes most 220 are run using 10/2, so there is only a black,white and a bare. Newer houses that are plug in type will have 4 wires. but if it is hardwired 220 will only have 3 and the white will be a hot. I will see if I can find reference, but it looks like a 30 amp 120 volt plug.

2nd Year electrical apprentice

[/ QUOTE ]

Try page 77, Traisters Commercial Wiring text.

11. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Yes a book is a good way to get yoruself hurt, the worst thing for an electrician is the unknown. Just because some text may say not to do it, does not mean it doesn't get done that way. My house has dryer outlet and a waterhear hard wired. Both 220, both wired with 10/2. So only a black,white and bare ground. So does not matter what a textbook may say. I did not post to get flamed or be corrected. I pointed out that assuming there is a black and whit that it's 120 is wrong and will get you hurt.

12. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes a book is a good way to get yoruself hurt, the worst thing for an electrician is the unknown. Just because some text may say not to do it, does not mean it doesn't get done that way. My house has dryer outlet and a waterhear hard wired. Both 220, both wired with 10/2. So only a black,white and bare ground. So does not matter what a textbook may say. I did not post to get flamed or be corrected. I pointed out that assuming there is a black and whit that it's 120 is wrong and will get you hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now pull your head out of your A**, reread the post and look at the traisters text, it has the NEMA specs of wiring receptacles (ie: BIG illustration of how to identify nema receptacles with picture of corresponding receptacle as rated by NEMA). I never stated how to wire it, only stated that the plug he showed in his picture is identified by NEMA as either a 15 or 30 amp 250 volt plug. I won't even get into the NEC shall/should rule...

As to the original poster, the receptacle IS either a 15 or 30 amp NEMA plug. The only way to tell what kind of power it's getting is to trace it back to your main panel. Relying on wire color will get you killed.

(and yes, I did residential and commercial wiring for years and just updated certification about 12 months ago.)

13. Resurrection_Joe

Man electricians are cranky....

14. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

You will noticed there is only one sentence where I mention what I thought the plug was and how I was not sure. So when you quote my whole post(not just the sentence on plug) it is easy for me to think you are commenting on what I have said, not offering a reference for the plug. I don't have the text you are refering to, and I am sure most don't. If I had, I would have had access to that page. Don't you think I would have suggested the correct plug in the first place? So I took it wrong what you were saying and sorry, but maybe you should type a little more on what you are refering someone to since you gave the impression you were correcting my whole post.

Main thing before I put my head up my A** I guess, and Main point I was trying to get across before this.

Do not assume black and white is 120. Electricians, handyman and homeowners do some strange things to save a buck.

15. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

Your post indicated you were going to look it up (the plug), I simply gave you a text and page number to find the NEMA plug ID table. The Traister's books are popular with most commercial/residential wiring training curriculums (trade schools, co-op ed centers etc..). I saw your notation you were a 2nd year apprentice and figured you would probably have it...sorry if you mis-understood the reference.

[ QUOTE ]
    You will noticed there is only one sentence where I mention what I thought the plug was and how I was not sure. So when you quote my whole post(not just the sentence on plug) it is easy for me to think you are commenting on what I have said, not offering a reference for the plug. I don't have the text you are refering to, and I am sure most don't. If I had, I would have had access to that page. Don't you think I would have suggested the correct plug in the first place? So I took it wrong what you were saying and sorry, but maybe you should type a little more on what you are refering someone to since you gave the impression you were correcting my whole post.

[/ QUOTE ]

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

all the residential 220 i have ever seen in my life has been red and black hots and white neutral and around 10 guage, for water heaters and such anyways, and in this building also, but it was added in 1973 and is not hardwired

i wish i could become an electricians apparentice, they only take two apprentices a year and its in winter that they do it, and you have to pass a bunch of tests and have had certain grades in HS and i dont think ill ever get in, but i know some about residential electrical and have quite a bit of personal experience with it, i just cant get a way in to find employment or training or anything around here :/
    just like with this every option or possibility of getting anywhere in my life gets shot down for some reason or another.........

i see those kind of plugs in buildings such as schools, etc.

i never knew it was called NEMA

i really dont know what other than some air conditioners can use those plugs.

good luck

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So it is probably 220 then? I will look at the plug tomorrow to see if it says anything on it. The reason I am wondering is for future needs of welding, etc. this post sure got alot of replies, thanks guys!

18. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

You can purchase or borrow one of these! It will tell you if it is 110 or 220 in a snap! Tester

19. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear you want to become an electrician and can't find a way in. I am assuming you are talking about Union training? Ever thought of relocating? Here, the only thing you need to get into the NIC (North Idaho College) training program is to be employed by an Electrical contractor(no testing but if you can't do simple algebra you may stuggle). My boss just hired another apprentice because his ratio was off (to many electricians not enough apprentice's in idaho 1 electrician to 2 apprentice's). A lot drop out, we had about 30 in my first year class, my second year we have about 25 and 10 of those came from another training program (union) that lost it's trainer status. Are all the electricians in your area union? Have you tried just getting hired by a electrical contracter as a apprentice? Of course it will probably be a serious pay cut as it was for me but I just think of the long run where it will pay off.

Here is a great page for Information for electricians and related fields. It's not for homeowners or DIY's. The forum is wealth of information but they won't answer questions for non-electrical industry users. You might post here that you are wanting in the field and see if anyone can help or offer suggestions.

http://www.mikeholt.com/

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

EEEEEK! I think I've seen that before in my dads shop... I'll look for it tomorrow... how do I use it though? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif