Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of paint for the interior?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Aug 6, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have been buying new interior trim pieces and they are coming in all sorts of varying colors. I have heard there is some paint "specially designed" for use on interior trim pieces. Does anybody know of this "special" paint? Is it any better than my "special" krylon?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think your thinking of paint that would go on your dash. If so, its just designed to paint on viniyl. Your interior pieces are made of plastic, right? If thats the case, I painted some stuff with some polyureathane based paint since it gave some stretch. Hasnt come off or flaked in 1.5 yrs so I guess it worked.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by fr8train on 08/06/01 12:51 PM.</FONT></P>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Actually my dash is new (and by luck they sent me one that matched the color of my interior!). I am more interested in the headliner and the pillar trim pieces and all that stuff.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thats what I painted. I was answering your original question about special paint.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, they have special vinyl paint for interior peices .....just clean them real well to get the old grime off and then paint a few light coats .....it will look great if you do these things !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Any ideas on what it is called?

Brian
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

7. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I used a Vinyl Dye from a company called VHT, THIs is some slick stuff. I used a plastic dash cap and I painted it, couldn't tell it. The trick is to clean it with some denatured alcohol and get it spotless and greaseless, then use light coats.. Works liek a champ..

-BuSH
    '83 K5 Blazer
    '98 Monte Carlo z34

8. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

I remember seeing a vinyl paint made by duplicolor at Autozone i think, never tried it though. A local auto upolstery shop recommended SEM flexible color coat. I found it at an auto paint store worked great for me. As earlier mentioned clean everything real good use lite coats. I also used a plastic prep made by SEM to help the paint adhere better.

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

SEM is about the best on the market - It works like a lacquer (chemically bonds to the plastic), and is nearly impossible to scratch.

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just painted my dash, door panels, arm rests and side panels a couple weeks ago. I used Mar-Hyde Vinyl paint and it worked really well. I used Bulldog adhesive prep on everything but the side panels. It all looks really good. I'll post pictures in the next week or so.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

The best vinyl dye that I have been able to find is Marhyde. Most automotive paint shops will have it or be able to get it. Just make sure you use a good cleaner before you spray it on and you won't have any problems.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

12. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I replaced the pcs you're talkin about and just used good ole Krylon.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated