Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of paint to buy ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Nov 27, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hi all , I will be painting my K5 since its Hawaiin blue [​IMG] One of my dad's friends in his back yard has a spray booth and I am curious as to where I would purchase the paint and what would be the best kind ? I am going either flat black or flat olive drab and it doesnt need to be show room either [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

2. Commocozy

Commocozy 1/2 ton status

POR15

Rust proof paint!

Go to www.POR15.com it only comes in black or white, but it says you will NEVER rust again if done rigtht!

who knows what i will be driving in a few weeks.
    Right now i have a 98 Explorer with 6" lift and 33's.

3. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

At my shop we use PPG. This is one of the best paint systems you can use. If you just want a flat black you can use their DP 90 LF epoxy primer. The only thing with that is it doesn't have any uv protection so it will turn to a chalky white over time. I would probably use a flat basecoat such as their DBU or DBC 9700 and then go over it with a clear with some flatting angent in it. This will give you the color and durability of today's paint systems. PPG is expensive. There are many other companies out there that are cheaper. If you have a autobody supply store or a hard parts store such as Napa you can find the paint that will suit your needs. You should still lay down a coat of primer to aid in corrossion protection and adhesion.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Cruise on up to Space Age on Country Club between Broadway and Southern - they stock everything under the sun, and will steer you in the right direction.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks guys ! I will see bout stopping by space age [​IMG] by the sound of it, it WIll have everything under the sun !

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

check out this site, it may help with some questions.
    See my pics here