Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of parts are you interested in???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Nov 22, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok, I am working with a friend of mine who has a shop and builds offroad buggys and assorted vehicles. Well he is going to start getting into more vehicles outside of the usual Jeeps and Toys. We are going to look into building a rear link set up using Fox air shocks (BTW Fox has a new air shock capable of handeling more weight) and keeping it streetable plus making the kit affordable. It will problbly be a combination of weld on and bolt on parts because building a complete bolt on kit might drive the cost up to far but we'll see how it goes. My question to everybody is what kind of fab parts would you like to see made and what you consider is a reasonalbe price to pay for the parts? We really need your feedback to see where we should go with this and what we should look into making. I figure sliders, bumpers, and cages will be the big sellers. Also let us know if you would want to see weld up kits or bolt on parts. Thanks in advance for the input and remember to keep it realistic on prices.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Pre made cages that bolt to the floor with only drilling needed to the floor for perimeter bolts on the floor plates , with part of the floor plate covering the body mount holes and new longer bolts to go through plate and body mount . Priced comparable to a pain in the a$$ weld up kit

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i think you could make a BIG hit on tube doors. check out the ORD forum and see how many tube door post there are. burbans and crew cabs not to be left out.

x-members for the doubler, roll cage kits, and the link setup are also ideas.

grant

4. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i think you could make a BIG hit on tube doors. check out the ORD forum and see how many tube door post there are. burbans and crew cabs not to be left out.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Weld on tabs for Link mounts. Cage kits would be cool, too. Offer add ons for Crew cabs and Burbs.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you could make a heavy-duty winch bumper for no more than $385 (not including shipping). That would be cool. 4X4 Iron has some great bumpers, but $600 + shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Yeah, winch bumpers would be great as well as a rear bumper with swing away tire carrier for K5's...

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

One thing we realize is how high the cost is on some products. Keeping the cost down is a priorty. I believe if we come up with great quality parts at reasonable prices it should work out good. One thing he has going for him is his overhead is probably not as high as some other shops. I have no question on his quality so I don't forsee any problems there. At this time I am just exploring the options. As of now the link suspension is pretty deffinate and once it is done and people see what it can do vs. the cost it will hopefully be a big seller. It should happen some time next year. I will discuss tube doors with him and if there is enough demand I'm sure he will be up for it and that might be a way to get started in GM's.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you could make a heavy-duty winch bumper for no more than $385 (not including shipping). That would be cool. 4X4 Iron has some great bumpers, but $600 + shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, but where did you come up with the $385? As far as shipping goes, nobody has control over that cost so there is not much we can do about that.

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious, but where did you come up with the $385? As far as shipping goes, nobody has control over that cost so there is not much we can do about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess spending more than $400 on a piece of 1/2" plate steel that has no more work done to it than some cutting and welding to a prefabed jig I consider pretty pricey.

10. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

He didn't understand that you wanted that to be price before shipping, I think.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Pre made cages that bolt to the floor with only drilling needed to the floor for perimeter bolts on the floor plates , with part of the floor plate covering the body mount holes and new longer bolts to go through plate and body mount . Priced comparable to a pain in the a$$ weld up kit

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]That would be a great if you could make a kit like that.

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

x-members for the doubler

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second Grant's suggestion on the Doubler crossmembers, nobody offers them. 4x4Iron has them on their site but they don't actually make them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif I think if you could put together a pre-made piece or even a weld it yourself kit (to cover multiple tranny applications/positions) this would be a decent seller. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

4x4 Iron does indeed make a crossmembers for Doublers. Steve Fox has one and I have seen a few others. Rather or not they mass produce them or not is a different story, but if enough people espressed interest in them he might consider offering them to the public, and at a cheap price.

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    4x4 Iron does indeed make a crossmembers for Doublers. Steve Fox has one and I have seen a few others. Rather or not they mass produce them or not is a different story, but if enough people espressed interest in them he might consider offering them to the public, and at a cheap price.

[/ QUOTE ]

He offers them as a product for sale on his web site, I emailed them about one for my K5 and my reply was "we don't make those anymore" with no further explanation or offer of help. This subject has come up before with another member having the same experience.

16. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Let me reiterate,roll cages,winch bumpers,tube doors,rock sliders,skid plates,drive shaft hoops,pinion guards,axel truss ect...Looking foward to seeing link suspention set up.Maybe 14 bolt? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

how about a rear shock mount kit like the one in the review on this site.

18. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Free parts are always nice /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Sorry it had to be said. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me reiterate,roll cages,winch bumpers,tube doors,rock sliders,skid plates,drive shaft hoops,pinion guards,axel truss ect...Looking foward to seeing link suspention set up.Maybe 14 bolt? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The link set up will be for a 14ff rear axle. It is the most common swap. Doubler cross members might be a little hard because I don't have one and don't plan to run one. Not saying it can't be done though. A rear shock mount kit is pretty simple. Keep the feedback comming. It's really up to the masses on how far he is willing to go with this.

20. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Is he hiring Wayne? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif