Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of primer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i am not interested in putting a massive amount of money into a paint job that i am 100% sure im going to scratch. My solution is primer. i plan to paint my entire blazer in primer, and leave it that way. My question is, what kind of primer should i use for an "all around truck" that sees mostly mud? i dont know the differences between primers. what is the difference between grey primer, red oxide, and black oxide? can anyone help? also, could flat black be another cheap alternative to expensive enamel paint? thnx in advance

2. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

it sounds like your doin the same thing as me... first things first... strip down all your rust spots to bare metal and clean out the rust.. fill any holes or weild in new metal.. just to save you the trouble later.. and start painting... you can use sandable primer for like the first coat or so .. but make sure you get a sealing primer for the last coat to keep out moisture and keep rust from forming under the primer... the color don't matter.. just pick which one you want.... i've been using rustoleum auto primer.. it's like $3 a can at walmart.. but so far i havent had any rust form and show through...but it never hurts to throw a flat clear coat or an extra layer of paint just $hits and grins...only one down side to the whole thing though... if you don't stay at the right distance you get those annoying lines in the paint..but it just takes a little practice to get it right... oh one other thing... pick up one of the spray attatchments for spray cans....it looks like a trigger setup ... otherwise your spray button finger gets sore and you can barely hold your beer the next day...

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Nah, you don't wanna do that. Thats like going out for the day and only wearing your underwear. At least get some that flat black paint to go over that primer. I mean you already have everything taped off, why not take the extra intiative and finish it.

4. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

thanx for the input, but i still would like to know the difffernces in primers. i know its not just different colors. i heard today that red oxide is good for rust. i am still not sure about the black, grey, and yellow/ beige. does anyone know the difference?thanx.

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

i know that you can get tinted primer to better suit your color coat. maybe thats the only reason?

mike