Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of Sawzall blade to cut fiberglass?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Jun 19, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put the K5's top out to the road with "free" on it. However, I'm pretty sure free is too expensive for this demographic. So, I need to cut it in half so I can haul it to the dump. What would be the ideal length, thickness, and TPI to cut a K5 top in half right down the middle? I'm reciprocating saw illiterate.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I just used a standard 12-14 TPI bimetal sawzall blade when i cut my sisters old top up. Worked great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another thing that is good to use is a skillsaw /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But no matter what you use, make sure and have on safety glasses and a dust mask cause the fiberglass is going to fly everywhere /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

im no expert either, but remeber there is quite a bit of metal in those too. rutterbush cut his apart a couple of years ago.

id recomend the finest tpi torch blade you can buy and its worth the money to buy the long ones (more cutting area)

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I just used a standard 12-14 TPI bimetal sawzall blade when i cut my sisters old top up. Worked great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Another thing that is good to use is a skillsaw /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But no matter what you use, make sure and have on safety glasses and a dust mask cause the fiberglass is going to fly everywhere /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried using expensive Milwaukee 14TPI blades to cut sheetmetal once... I was so disappointed after stripping all the teeth in about 5" I busted out the angle grinder with a 1/8" disc. Those blades would work good on fiberglass though, eh?

How much metal is in the top? The 'ole 10" Skilsaw I've got would make quick work of fiberglass but I figured there was a lot of metal in the top.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How much metal is in the top? The 'ole 10" Skilsaw I've got would make quick work of fiberglass but I figured there was a lot of metal in the top.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That part I don't remember as it was a few yrs ago, but if you decide to use the ole skillsaw, get yourself a carbide tipped blade /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have a sawzall blade that looks like the cutting edge has been dipped in sand. We use it to cut fiberglass, thin sheet, plexi, wood with nails, just about anything really.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I tried using expensive Milwaukee 14TPI blades to cut sheetmetal once... I was so disappointed after stripping all the teeth in about 5"

[/ QUOTE ]

The blades have gone to [darn] in the last few years. I use a sawz all alot at work cutting tubeing mostly 3 years ago you could cut 10 pieces of 2 inch tubeing before the blade was gone (we buy them in 200 blade boxes very expenceive) we think they must be made oversees then shiped in and then destibuted, turs day finishing a fence i cut two 2" x1/8 posts and the blade was killed gone completly sparking, snaping the teath off. there [darn] dont use them use lincon there ok task suck too, there is a brand we used once cant remember the name don't see them in stores looking for them. we cut a goo 20 piece of 3x1/4 with one blade!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

8. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

Lennox Demolition and fire and rescue are the best blades i have found to date. you can get them at any Lowe's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i personally use Blue Point 18 or 24 tpi blades to cut light metal and fiberglass all the time.

10. lrmccain

lrmccain Registered Member

My dad and I run a fiberglass shop, and if you're gonna be doing a lot of cutting in Fiberglass use a carbide/abraisive blade. *(a blazer top down the center is a lot of cutting in fiberglass...) you'll just get frustrated with any of the toothed blades /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif