Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Kind Of Tools Do I Need To Do ANy WOrk On My Axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, May 17, 2003.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Some of ya'll will probaly think this is a stupid question, but my 87 K5 is my first 4x4...my question is about what kind of speciality tools do I need to do any work on my axles that I probaly don't have since I've been driving 2wd's all this time. Isn't there a special 4-sided socket or something to use to remove the hubs?

I've had this K5 a year, and when I got it, it needed brake work and some seals in the rear axle, but I was working so much overtime I had to pay a brake shop to do it for me. ABout time to repack my bearings and such and need to know what all I need to take stuff down and fix/clean/repair anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what axles do you have? both dana 44-60 and 10bolt fronts need the special hub socket and so does a 14ff rear

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

you need a good half inch drive ratchet, a hub socket for 1/2 ton gms, available at autozone, sears, etc, 3/8 sized allen wrench or socket for removing calipers, some assorted standard wrenches for bleeding brakes/removing brake lines..a good set of picks, hammer, long screwdriver for punching out races....and a big fine hammer...

4. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    a hub socket for 1/2 ton gms

[/ QUOTE ] you need one for one tons as well but that is a good list /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what axles do you have? both dana 44-60 and 10bolt fronts need the special hub socket and so does a 14ff rear

[/ QUOTE ]

just the stock axles for right now

so is the hub socket really the only "special" thing needed? that's cool if so. I have a crapload of tools, just didn't know if I needed anything like special pullers or anything like that

6. mudhog

yes that is the only special tool you need for now

7. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I was gonna say hammer, but it's covered here. C clip spreaders would have been nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

c-clip spreaders? hmmm never heard of one of those, whats it look like? we always just push them off, they arent really on tight in ford rears...

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You mean snap-ring plires?

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Someone let me know if newer, 10 bolts are different, but I needed a slide hammer to get the rear bearings out of my 12 bolt. Luckily I borrowed one from my mechanic and didn't have to buy a crappy one from Pep Boys or Auto Zone (their's didn't look too sturdy).

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

12. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a race and seal driver kit is nice to have, I do not have one but used a friends a time or 2 a bearing grease packing tub is also handy

[/ QUOTE ]

When I did my bearings, a bearing driver would have been nice. But I ended up using the outer ring from the old bearing and a piece of steel to hammer on once I put the new bearing in.