Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of tow rig should i get?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Dec 6, 2005.

?

What truck?

1. Keep the Duramax

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Get 87-91 V3500

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Get 92-00 K3500

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  4. Who needs a tow rig?

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im probably going to have to get rid of my new duramax so I can focus on college again, so i need to get a different tow rig. The options are an 87-91 V3500 chevy crew cab, or 91-00 Crew cab long bed K3500. I like the older trucks because of pure simplicity, but my dad seems to think that I should get the newer, well because its newer. Im thinking I should suck it up and get an older truck that is easy to work on and cheap to maintain rather than a later model truck with all the computer controlled crap. Or I could work my ass off with school and work, and have no free time, or sell the late model truck and get something older and have no payments and more free time. So what does everyone else think?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

'92-00 definately, but i am a little biased. Actually i would have to say '95-00 just because they have the nicer dash and stereo components. I like the old body style as well, but there is a pretty big difference in ride quality, handling, and overal driving pleasure between the '73-91's and the GMT400's. Plus, you are already looking at fuel injected models so that kinda kills alot of the simplicity, so why not just get the more comfortable one of the two? Arround here nice '73-91s are going for a pretty damn good chunk of change, whereas a nice '92-00 actually sells for farily cheap, because they are everywhere. Now, this may be vastly different from california, i dont really know as i havent spent much time out there.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

I guess a question should be asked, probobally should have been asked before i wrote my response.

What do you want and need in a tow rig?

4. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Ditto. Just asking for a recommendation from us without outlining your real needs doesn't really do much.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I need something that will tow my blazer or my samurai and allow me to keep at least 55 on the hills around here. I would like something that I could throw a slide in camper in eventually, but that probably won't be for awhile, oh yeah and it has the be 4x4 crew cab which limits my choices down quite a bit. So hopefuly I will find something, I found an 88 V3500 only problem is is that it's white and i hate white cars.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

none of the above...

Cummins 12 valve in the 90's with a 5 speed.

you can find them for a good price, leave it stock and get the towing done.. once ouf of school start adding power to it as needed.
    Grant

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with Seventy4. With the choices you mentioned, save for keeping the Duramax, you ain't gonna be doing 55 while towing unless it's already been modded for more power. You wanna do 55 while towing on a budget, it's gonna be the Dodge Cummins with a five-speed or nothing.

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i love the 87-91 body style get one of them. i think they are some of the best looking trucks

9. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If this is gonna be your DD, I'd try and keep the D-max as long as your grades aren't sliding. Diesels around here hold their resale value almost too well, which is why I flat out can't afford one of the newer diesels (newer Cummins, PSD, D-Max). If you get into older vehicles, they'll nickle and dime you to death. Sure, the motor might run forever, but rebuilding IFS or a solid axle isn't cheap either. Think of your trail truck builds and how much the little stuff ended up costing you.

If you're hellbent on getting rid of it, look for a 95-00. They're going pretty cheap right now because they're a couple of body styles old and they're everywhere. I'm selling my '93 f/s Blazer and probably (barring any complications) going to a '00 3/4 ton CC with less miles for not all that much money.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I love the 87-91 1 tons but to find a crew cab, 4x4 seems tough. Weren't those pretty rare? I have been kinda looking for one, and I have not found many. That is the best looking truck in my opinion. Good luck with your search.

A few months ago a guy in my area had a sweet 95'??? (maybe) 4x4 crew cab dually. Black w/ burgandy interior, and it was a diesel. Only problem is it belonged to his bro. in law who died and the truck had no title. :doah: I think that truck could have been bought for about $3500. It was in excellent condition. I don't know if he ever sold it or not.

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Freightliner.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Little too big to daily drive in the city, and i dont think i could find one for under $12k.

As far as trucks im staying with a GM product, I used to work on them everyday so I know what to look for in one and I get deals on OEM parts since I work at a Chevy dealer so that eliminates the dodges and fords. Plus I hate how the ford's drive and dodge doesnt have a real crew cab.

Although I did find a 97 K3500 CCLB SRW truck last night, its a little high on miles, 150,000, but it might work if I can get the guy to come down on price since he is asking about $2k more than blue book on the truck.

Oh and I did go look at an '89 V3500 yesterday, it was an old 4 wheel parts show truck, Its lifted about 9" on 37's, only problem I see with the truck is that it needs the body lift taken out and an over drive tranny put in it so its capable of keeping up with the traffic on the freeways here. Not to mention the truck is freaking huge and might not be fun to drive around every day.

Im wondering if maybe it would be wiser to find an '01 or '02 duramax and putting the $12k I have to spend down on it and financing the rest for under $200 a month.

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you are going to the GM side, try and stay with the vortec motor (if you are going gas). It is that much of a difference. Also why such a large truck? Won't and extended cab work (the newer ones have 4 doors). Maybe I am a little biased cause my dad just picked up a 2001 GMC 2500 quad cab for 12K (with the 6.0L and 70K on the ticker)

14. mikey_d05

I've found several '98-'00 CCSB's with gas big blocks and less that 65k on the odo for under $17k. Put 12 grand down and pay the rest off in a year or two.

15. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Why would you say that? There are so many variable involved that determine top speed. :rolleyes:

That being said get a Vortec 454 Crew Cab, what about a 6.5TD?

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Does it have to be 4 x 4 as a daily driver? You know i have the 88 c3500 454. With thorley headers, free flow cat., and magna flow muffler. and a Edlebrock tbi manifold. it is extended cab long bed. with 5th wheel set up as well as hitch set up. Call me or email me maybe we can save you alot of money.

17. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

well the guy called me back on the 89 V3500 show truck, so I may be getting it. Heres the truck [​IMG]

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Little tall for a DD, but that's curable. What engine?

19. mikey_d05

You realize we're never gonna stop making fun of you for being a mall crawler right? :haha:

Seriously though, I'm not a big fan of the paint but otherwise it's a good looking truck and probably tough as nails. If the price is right, go for it.

If I may ask, why are you getting rid of the D-max if you can afford to put 12 down and take on payments for another one?

20. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Not to sound like a total dick, but do you have any actual towing experience at all? Reason i ask is because the dodge is NOT the only truck out there that will tow Jason's relatively lightweight rigs uphill with ease.