Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kind of transfer case is this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lowharley, Mar 8, 2003.

1. lowharley

lowharley Registered Member

I have a 79 GMC Jimmy 4WD and am trying to figure out what transfer case I have. It looks like the NP203 picture on offroad designs website but the speedometer cabel attaches on the opposite side. ORD says that the NP203 is a full time case but my front driveshaft does not spin when driving and I have never installed a part time kit. My gear selector is labeled (front to back) Low Loc, Low, Neutral, High, High Loc. This is also the way the NP203 was geared according to ORD. I am thinking 203 but what about the speedometer cable and no power to front shaft unless in 4wd. Any ideas?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Someone probably installed a part time kit in your 203. The only Chevy Tcase I have ever heard of with those shifter positions is the NP203. A parttime kit would make it like a normal tcase, and the front driveshaft wouldn't spin when in 2wd. As for the speedo cable, I have no idea.

Harley

3. lowharley

I have no idea either. Thanks for the input!

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It sure sounds like a NP203, as for the speedo cable I have seen them on either side of the T-case. Someone before you must have installed a part time kit. Does it have selectable hubs up front?

5. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 79 GMC Jimmy 4WD and am trying to figure out what transfer case I have. It looks like the NP203 picture on offroad designs website but the speedometer cabel attaches on the opposite side. ORD says that the NP203 is a full time case but my front driveshaft does not spin when driving and I have never installed a part time kit. My gear selector is labeled (front to back) Low Loc, Low, Neutral, High, High Loc. This is also the way the NP203 was geared according to ORD. I am thinking 203 but what about the speedometer cable and no power to front shaft unless in 4wd. Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the same setup in my '78 Blazer. NP 203 with speedo cable on passenger side and part time kit. Seems to be not very common for the 203 to have the cable on the right side.

6. lowharley

It does have manual locking hubs up front. I must agree that it is a 203. Thanks for the information!