Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of winch to go with!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoader93, May 11, 2005.

1. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to get a winch to put on my 87 one ton. It's a long bed and 4 door. It has a diesel, 2.5 ton rockwells, and 52 michelins. So I think it will be pretty heavy. I am debating between milemarkers hydraulic 12,000 or warns 12,000 or 15,000. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Brenton

2. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

Braden 20000 lb pto winch in the bed :saweet:

3. OffRoader93

OffRoader93 1/2 ton status

Where do you get one of those? How much are they? How hard is it to do the PTO? Thanks.

Brenton

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With a truck like that I would go no less then 12000 like it looks like you are. I personally would look at no less then the Warn 15000 or 16500Ti winches. That is a heavy beast that needs the most winch it can get.

I run a Warn 12000 on my K5 and it pulls hard be I don't know if it pulls hard enough for a rig like yours.

Harley

5. REDCRO_REDNECK

REDCRO_REDNECK 1/2 ton status

Try military surplus, tractor supplies, call tow truck companies to see if they can help. I found one in a junkyard on a 2ton tow truck.

Pto runs off of tranny or tcase, (not gm auto trannys), buy a pto for the 205 I assume you have and make a drive shaft to the winch.

due to the weight of the winch I would not mount it in front

6. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

offroader81 do u have any pics of your truck. Very intrested , i;m building mine up and like to see how u did yours. Thanks
    My Email is Gwaysaxboy006@aol.com

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

My dad swears by Ramsey winches. He used to have a couple of 4x4 Bronco's he would take offroading, and they had Ramsey electric winches of some type. There was a recent post on Pirate about the RE1200, which is electric worm gear drive, I guess it is slow but will pull and pull and pull.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Warn #1. Ramsey #2. MileMarker? You get what you pay for. A certain banned person here learned the hard way after bragging extensively about how great a price he got on his MileMarker. Then after destroying it later, he recanted.

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

10. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Oh, and Warn a distant number 2!

MileMarker (which is now made in China, except for the military hydraulic version) and all the OTHER Chinese made crap would not even be considered...

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

warn or ramsey, wouldn't touch a mile marker. Have heard some bad stuff about their electric winches, but the hydro's, haven't heard anything good or bad.........

Personally, I would go electric because if your motor dies, you can still have some pulling power left, not an option with hydro or pto :o

Just my $.02

Steve

12. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any winch that you allow the cable to stack up on will either break the case or bend the rods. I've never seen a used Warn M12000 with straight support rods. If MileMarker used appliance steel for their support rods like Warn does theirs would bend just like Warn's before the case broke.

That being said, I'd buy: Some kind of hydraulic winch followed by the Warn 16.5ti. Buying a Warn M12000 would be like buying a really expensive MM E12000.

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I ran my Warn XD9000i for several years and beat the crap out of it without a problem. Can't speak to the M12000. I just bought a 9.5ti for the Blazer so we'll see how it goes. A buddy of mine has run his M8000 on a K30 for years without any issues and it sees a lot of use with a full load in the back.

14. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like my Ramsey RE12000, although it is a little slow, it hasn't let me down yet.
    Broke both my driveshafts 2 weeks ago and had to use it to winch me down to a place to do some repairs, never failed. Well over heated once but that was it. I LIKE RAMSEY.

15. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I am running one of warns 9500 ti's and love it. I also have run one of the 8000i's for a while but it was a little weak for a k5. The ti does much better. But for your truck i would run the biggest one i could afford made by warn or ramsey. If you dont have money to buy one of those and mm is the only thing you can afford it will work ok but not the best choice by any means.

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can stop by my place an check out a Warn 12000 that I bought used and have used that has straight support rods. This winch has taken a beating and has straight support rods.

The problem with the Milemarker's support rods is that they are very close to the drum. 1 or 2 mis-wraps of the cable and you will blow the support rods off the housing. My Warn 12K you would have to mis-wrap the drum alot heavier to get anywhere near the support rods.

I personally would run my beat ass Warn 12k over a new Milemarker winch of any flavor.

Harley

17. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I run both a Warn 8274 and MM 9000# hydraulic and both have worked very well.

The hydraulic is slow in low gear (it's a two speed) but it has a lot of pulling power, runs quiet, never overheats, and is lighter wieght than the 8274. My brother runs a 12k MM hydraulic, which is pretty impressive, we haven't been able to stall that one yet:grin:

18. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I get home I'll post some pictures of a M15000 with bent rods. The winch has a half dozen pulls on it and a lot of years sitting on the front of a truck it the weather.

All small recovery winches except the 8274 suffer from the same not enough room between the drum and the mounting surface/support rod problem. Most 8274s are chronic rat-nesters instead. I've seen a cracked 9.5ti and a XD9000i and a cracked worm Ramsey and and and the list goes on. Oh, and recently, one of those Chicago Electric el-cheapos have been added to the list. You've got to watch the cable spool on the drum or less *snap*. MileMarker's (or tmax, or whatever) winch is just that much worse for it because it has that much less room.

After having the privilege of using a MileMarker 12000lb hydraulic winch with new solenoids on it I'll probably never have a permanently-mounted electric winch on the front of a vehicle again. I'll still have my multimount for when the motor dies but after that... electric winches are pansy. That thing, in high speed, spun so fast that when you let off the button the cable would rat's nest because the cable wouldn't stop with the drum. In low speed it actually sped up as it operated because there was more cable on the drum.

19. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so I did use the search button... STUFF SHOWED UP!!!!! :crazy:

anyhow you got those pics you said you were going to post?

you also say that you got to use the hydraulic 12000lb MM... good winch?

my goal is a electric under the bed and out the back of my double tube bumper and a hydraulic up front between my rad support and grill and out my front tube bumper.....

so if im still running can go forward or if dead go out back...

I think im still leaning towards the Patriot 12k

20. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

The Mile Marker hydraulic winches are good winches. I have both a 9000-lb Mile Marker and a Warn 8274 and they have both proven to be extremely durable.

On more than one occasion I've run the Mile Marker completely submerged under water. I don't think the electric models can do that...or least I don't dare try :)