Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kind of work is involved in replacing a wheel bearing? Is it really the w.b?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Michael2k5, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Michael2k5

Michael2k5 Newbie

Hi all,

Whenever weight is put on the driver front wheel, I get a low humming noise. I was told this was a Wheel Bearing issue. Does it sound right? Nothing is touching the wheel to cause the humming.

What kind of work is involved, and what kind of costs am I looking at? Consequences if I don't change it right away?

Thanks!

Michael

2. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I just had mine swapped out, they were caked and rusted with mud. If you let it go too long, it can be bad. I would take the time, or pay to have it done, its good maintenance every few years anyway. My .02c. But I dont screw around with maintenance when I run 75 down the freeway with 7 inches of lift. I would get it looked at, and yes, it is a pain to replace those.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

i wouldnt call it a pain to replace them... if you have the right tools (hub socket ~$20)
    you're probably looking at about $50 in parts, provided the spindles havent been ruined
    as for how to do it, just follow the instructions laid out here:
    http://coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml
    just ignore the stuff about changing to 8 lug

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

bad stuff

if you have a wheel bearing problem and dont fix it you could loose the whole hub assybly off the spindle.ask me how i know.the only thing holding my wheel on to the spindle was my 2 foot longer than it was supposed to be brake line to the caliper.it is real simple to change the bearings.the hardest part is changeing the bearing race and make sure that is seated all the way.

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

do as the guys say, get the hub socket, a pair of snap ring pliers, and about an hour or 2 and take your hub apart, and replace them. once u do it, the other side becomes really easy. besides if u let your wheel bearings go out, your whole wheel could fall off and grind on the backing plate on the pavement! and that wouldnt be good. (previous owner did that on my K5:()