Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda batteries are yall running?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i got this cheap little "economy" battery in my truck, and during the warm weather it does the job, but this cold weather its a joke. i cant even get my truck started, havnt drivin it for bout 4 days now, my dads got some exide battery or something like that, its pretty big, and has 850 CCA's. And his truck starts right up no prob. this battery is to small for the truck to begin with, works better in my s-10, just wondering what any of u living in the cold climates are running?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm not in a cold climate unless 30 degrees in the mornings right now is cold, but I've got a cheep, I think, 650 CCA battery in my 84. Its slow to start in the winter, but fine in the summer. I'm like you and need to get a bigger, better battery.

Kris

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

How much for that nifty little powerhouse?

Kris

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I got a gel-cell from my local Kragen. These have a eight year warranty on them. The first two years are exchanged the last six are pro-rated. Their not cheap at $99 (on-sale) to $129. But they do a good job at 760cca.

I went with my local Kragen as opposed to an Optima for the quick easy replacement in case I am in the middle of no-where, I could find a Kragen and replace it. Instead of mailing the Optima in to get it replaced/warranteed.

Good luck.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

That Kragen place sounds pretty nice. I wish we had one of those out here. All we have is the national chain parts houses that usually don't know whats going on. I'll have to check at O'Rileys today and see what they have up there.

Kris

Kris

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone sells Optima so if you ever bought it there, you could simply walk into over 3,200 stores in the U.S. or Mexico and ask for a new battery if yours was bad and they'd give you a new one.

I hate Optimas anyway, the design allows them to sulfate very quickly if left discharged even overnight and not recharged. I told the rep from JCI that, (JCI makes the Optimas, as well as Autozone's battery, Sears, Interstate, etc., all the same battery) and he told me that it's simply the nature of the design because there is no free acid inside. I personally think that's crap, and they need to understand that an off road vehicle is going to have sometimes very serious deep discharges on the batteries and that we need something that can not only take the deep discharging, but take a re-charge and still have enough CCA to start our trucks.

You asked what I run in my truck though. I've got two 900 CCA group size 34 dual terminal batteries. I typically only hook one up, but number two is always there if I need it.

My suggestion to everyone is that no matter what battery you choose, make sure you get a group size 78, (side terminal) 34, (top post) or a dual terminal battery in the same size, which is sometimes referred to as a 78DT, but typically is called a 34DT group size.

A group size 75 battery does not belong in our trucks, it's too small.

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been runnning Red Top Optima batts for years now. I have a dual batt setup with the www.hellroaring.com setup. The main batt in my setup was purchased in 95 the second batt(wired as an isolated backup batt) was installed in 97.
    I keep them charged with a 140 amp alt and the Hellraoring BIC makes sure that both batts get voltage fom the alt when ever needed. I have had absoultly zero issues with this setup eversence. My rig can sit as long as it wants, sometimes over a month, it allways cranks over just fine.
    Optima customer for life. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In my experience, I've had a half/half mix of customers that swear BY Optimas, and swear AT Optimas.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How much for that nifty little powerhouse?

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]
    I believe i paid right around $100 for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've had a red top Optima for around 2 yrs now. I drained it twice(recharging it the same day) and it has given me no problems(knock on wood /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I'm also using clear O gauge cables... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have Red Top Optima batteries in both my Blazer and the Chevelle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahahaha, Ya I too have heard that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think with all products out there this is the case. I just happend to get a 'good batch' of Optimas. The only reason the one batt has lasted 9yrs I guess...wow 9yrs that is preety good, I just realized it's been 9yrs!! Cool!

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif my dad usually brings home big batteries from work that were in the semi's or something, there free, but ya dont know how good they are/ how long they will last...

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

had a Sears Diehard Gold for... uhh, i dunno, 5-6 years now I guess. Good battery, never let me down. About a year after I got it, i left my lights on when I left my rig at the airport for 5 days or so... battery was forkin DEAD... but after some jumping/charging its worked great ever since. Not bad. They go on sale every once in a while, think I paid $60-ish or so for mine.

j

16. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Have a Duralast in mine for about 4 years---never let me down

17. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Optima red top and eventually me aux batterey will be a yellow top. I dunno if they're made anymore but champion used to make a 4x4 batterey with 1050ca. We got 4 0f em for our company trucks and car. Not one lasted more than 16 months, niether did the replacements but they only had a 24 month free replacement and we weren't gonna pro rate for more of those pieces of crap.

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Optima Red Top. I ran it in the AZ heat 2 summers ago, the Colorado winter last year and another AZ summer this year. No problems. My motor cranked every time no problems.

3 yr free replacement from Autozone. $130 well spent since the water batteries don't survive the AZ summers well.

19. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem aabout a month ago and decided to forget about the Wal-Mart "Never Start" batteries and go with a good dry cell. It's been quite cold in the mornings in south central Nebraska, hell it's been cold all day until the last week and the Optima Red Top hasn't missed a beat.

20. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Dual Optima Yellwo Top Deep Cycles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

No problems at all with them despite what some folks will say.