Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kinda cams do they pack in Crate Motors?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I have a crate 350 in an '82 K5 and wonder what kind of cam do they put in there. I'm probably going to put on an Edelbrock Perfromer intake manifold and figure as long as I'm there I might put one in. The only deal is that I'll probably pull the motor to put it in because its so much easier than having to take off the front. Unless its pretty whimpy I won't change it then.

[​IMG]

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well I must admit I haven't done either, but it would seem to me that pulling the radiator and grill would be MUCH easier than pulling the whole motor.

As for the cam specs, you'll have to call whoever built the motor to truly find out. There's quite a few builders of "crate" motors, and many use different cams.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You'd have to get with the manufacture to get that. They put a lot of different size cams in different motors. It depends on what the motor was built for, who built it, etc. I was able to get a cam in without pulling the front or pulling the motor.

[​IMG]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Blazer_Boy

I suppose I could leave 'er in there. I like having it on the stand cause it looks cool, lol. But anyways I wanna drop in a Iskenderian cam/lifter and an Edelbrock Performer manifold. I doubt if I'll degree it in though, don't feel like having an oppurtunity to take more things apart that I can break, lol. I'm gonna be kickin' some butt because by then i'll get ridda that 3.08 crap and get my 3.73s in.

[​IMG]

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'd defenitly degree the cam... better safe then sorry... plus depending on what you know about the combo you have you can play. plus I don't see what you would "break" degreeing a cam.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

6. Blazer_Boy

Lol, the "break" deal is just me. I have a whole story that took two weekends just to change the valve covers, its under the off-topic forum under "one of those weekends". What all extra do you have to do to degree it in.

[​IMG]

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah... I remember that... LOL. Look at it this way... if you need the vehicle to get to work or to be done in an hour everything will go wrong... if it is less crtical it will be ok. That is why I'm taking my week vacation and will have another vehicle... but to degree in the cam is just a good idea... like checking clearances... All you need is a kit... I know powerhouse, summit, crane, and comp cams all have kits... some have videos too... they average about $130, but the nice thing is it includes things like a dial indicator and magnetic stand you can use elsewhere... BUT if you want to do this w/out removing the cylinder heads you'll have to get the kit designed to measure with the heads on. Powerhouse is the only place I've seen this one...<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=POW101545&Category_Code=CAMSHAFT>http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PP&Product_Code=POW101545&Category_Code=CAMSHAFT</A>

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI