Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda footing does a tube bender require?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by jekbrown, Jun 13, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if this needs to be moved, its all good... I wasn't sure... it is "specialty tools" so maybe that'll squeek me in. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, the question is, what kind of support will I need for a tube bender? I'm getting a protools 105HD. I know the factory base is 3x3", .25" wall square tube steel with a flat steel plate on either end, but I assume that is bolted to a big block of concrete on the ground end. I don't have anything suitable at my pad right now so I'd need to make it myself and I'd rather not screw it up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so, what will I need?

j

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If you are not going to be using a hydraulic setup, then you need to support the bender as much as possible. My bender is actually mounted to a curb right outside my garage. You could also make a wooden platform out of railroad ties with a steel deck and mount the bender in the corner. Late for work, gotta run, will post more later on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

what about digging a (tell the wife its a patio) 6'x6' concreat base and installing some sleaves into the concreat. set the bender ontop of it bolt it down, us it, when your done pull the bolts out, remove the bender and stick the bolts back in with a bunch of antiseze on them (so water can't get in there and freeze in the winter).
    If I'm still living at home when I buy a bender thats what I'm planning on doing when we build the shop (dad's wanting to build a 32x40 shop at the back of the lot... they where joking about making an apartment above it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I wonder why /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I used a 12 x 12 x 1/2" plate at the bottom of a piece of receiver tubing. That bolts into holes in the slab that I drilled and placed anchors into. The base is secured with 1/2" bolts. I use the receiver to hold several different attachments including my bender.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The two most important parts are that it is level and well mounted. I like the patio work area idea. You can put a square tube into the cement (3.5" od w/.250 wall) and make the bender stand out of a piece of tube (3" od w/.250 wall) that fits snugly into the cemented tube (like a reciever hitch but bigger). Then in the winter put a cover on it with a gasket of some sort (keeps the bugs/water out). And in the summer make a stand to match the reciever for an outdoor umbrella so the porch will pass inspection as a porch from the misses /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. You could go onto make a couple of types of stands out of the same port (tetherball for kids, grinder stand, vice stand, big azz tick of the hippy neighboors flag pole, whatever you want). When you move just put the umbrella in and it is a selling point not a greesey work area.

just my .02

6. jekbrown

yeah, no hydro (yet) on my bender, gonna be manual for now.

I was wondering around my garage today and noticed something. Out behind it there is a concrete slab... maybe 10'x20', the landlord used to use it to store their camper, but now its all mine... anyway on one side of it there is a spot where 4 threaded bolt ends are sticking straight up out of the slab. I have no idea what it was originally install for... but it might work for this. The bolts are in a square pattern with about 4" between em. Hmmm... guess I could try it to see how it'd work. No idea if the slab is level right there or sloped for runoff.. if it isn't level, maybe a simple shim could make the bender itself level. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One question, that mounting point is just a few feet away from the garage itself... there is prolly a 200 degree arc around it though, out atleast 25', that be enough room?

thanks for the ideas guys... I don't really wanna pour a LOT of conrete (ie enough for the umbrella-covered-sitting-area patio idea)... just wondering how much was a minimum. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It is a good idea... I just dont want to do it at a rental that I might only be at for a year or two...

j

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Should be fine as long as the base plate is large enough to reduce strain on the bolts. 12" square like mine I would think would work.

And I don't worry much about level. It's not that hard to just take into account what angle the die is at and allow for any tilt. Mine is never exactly the same after remove/replace due to the receiver. I have a lock down 1/2 bolt in the side to keep it from moving, and if I feel like it, I can make it level with a little effort while tightening down the bolts. But I rarely bother, it's just not that big a deal to me...

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I hear ya on the rental thing heck if it is only a rental (I was thinking owned) dig a pit, throw some cement, reed bar (sp), blocks and rocks in and call it good.

9. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have no idea what it was originally install for... but it might work for this. The bolts are in a square pattern with about 4" between em.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that it was for an old BBQ pit that was bolted to the patio.

I would use those bolts if you will have enogh room. If not, just drill four new holes and put anchors in similiar to what Baddog did. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. jekbrown

I was thinking maybe a basketball hoop... dunno but I measured and the bolts are 4.5" apart and 5/8" bolts... pretty beefy. Hopefully there is enough room, I got a 240 degree die... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j