Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda lockers were in the 60's dana 60 FF axles ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Nov 22, 2002.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what kinda lockers were in the 60\'s dana 60 FF axles ?

were they detroits or ? POWRLOK is the name GM gave them, in the late 60's trucks. and are they uncommon yet or ?

thanks for anything.

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Re: what kinda lockers were in the 60\'s dana 60 FF axles ?

I believe they were called Trac-loc's..
    GM installed them in the military Dana 60's. That's what came in my Dana 60..
    Expensive little boogers too... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Only ever seen the factory Trac-lock in one of these rear ends. Power-lock may have been available, although I've only seen them in 16-spline (GM D60 SRW rears are 30 spline).

I think the truck had to have the Eaton full-floater for the Detroit to be an option.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok so detroit was only in the corp axles then ?

its POWRLOK according to GM specs sheets books for these years

what is tracloc and what is a powrlok ?

ive never seen listing for tracloc in at least 67-72 GM anyways, only powrlok, i think tracloc was in jeeps and other lighter duty apps

i assume powr is better than trac, and the GM truck dana 60s were 30 spline at least in these years anyways

thanks

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

It is a Powr-Lok. Trash-Loks were not used back then in the rear. Powr-Loks are about 10 times more effective than a Trac-Lok and are very close to being a Detroit. I've got a Powr-Lok in the rear 60 of my Jeep CJ5 and it feels like a spool! Also got a Powr-Lok in the front 60 in my Suburban. Love them things! Powr-Loks were available in all spline counts that came for the 60. If you've got a Powr-Lok or can get one, hold onto it!

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah i cant see how it can be anything other than powrlok unless someoene had swapped it since 67. how much different is a trac from a powr ?

thanks

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

A Powr-Lok is much more effective than a Trac due to the ramp design. When a tire starts to slip, the pinion cross shafts ride up in V-notches in the case, thus applying more clamping force on the clutches. A Trac-Lok does not have this feature, and just relies on clutch friction to limit slippage. The Powr-Lok, like I said before, clamps together the cluctches like a vise, thus making it like a spool.

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so a trac is more or less a posi/limited slip and not an actual locker like this axle is out here ? on this dana 60 here, it has a huge unit inside it and both wheel are locked and theres no way they will turn free of each other, they go one direction together totally, its super hard to roll axle around when you cant turn it, have to lift one end and drag it over to turn it, hehe, but thats a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ill just save the axle for another truck in the future i guess, it has proved to not even be decent trading material, dana 60 rears and locking units have proved to definitely be not the slightest bit desired, sad really, but oh well, good for me /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

so did spicer dana make the powrloks or were they supplied the units form someone else ??

thanks for info /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The Powerlock and Traclock were Dana/Spicer built limited slip differentials. The Traclock is still commonly used as an OEM limited slip option on Ford, Jeep, and Dodge vehicles and has been for years. It is a spring loaded clutch pack limited slip that is typically pretty mild. They were designed for the street and very light off-road stuff and work as intended, but are not very effective in any type of off-road situation in which one tire is partially off the ground or if there is much traction difference from side to side. The Power-lock is a very similiar design but the spring load and clutches are much, much more positive and thus making it much more effective.

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

back to top since ive found pics and stuff:

pics of trac lok units: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=1876472485

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=1876791831

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33728&item=1876827059

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33731&item=1876710875

the unit in this 67 GM dana 60 rear looks alot beefier than this traclok unit, alot!

i notice that traclok is being referred to as posi, i kow that powrlok is not posi and is a locker, but why the lok suffix to traclok then ?

gm specs sheets only mention powrlok in these years and not any traclok listed at all for any model of GM trucks

im looking for any new info, i wanna know how good powrlok is like that is in the dana 60 that i have and if i should keep it or what.

thanks for anything further

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

A Powr-lok is as good as it gets without going to a true locker. Highly regardly for front axle use.

Here's a couple of pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Keep your Powr-Lok, or if some "expert" tells you to switch it out, PM me and I will buy it from you. The unit can be rebuilt to new spec which causes it to act like a Detroit. Like I said before, they are the closest thing to a Detroit you can get.