Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda metal for skid plates...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 10, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

new tcase is *finally* going in tomorow... once thats done, I'll be ready to set up some skid plates for my rigs underside. What kinda metal do you guys recommend/use? I mean, could I use some thicker aluminum diamond plate? if not..steel? 1/8"? 3/16"? anyone have any pics of their own custom skid plating? I think the only really well done 'platin i have seen pics of here is on SW's Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif any1 else? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think I'd use either 3/16" plate steel (or diamond tread, whichever.)
    If you're going to make it, make it freaking overkill /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -- Mike

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i will be making mine out of aluminum. 3/16ths. but i have to get the doubler and go from there.
    grant

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd use 3/16" AR (abrasive resistant) plate. Checker (or diamond) plate will gall on the rocks and not slide as intended...

Rene

5. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Unless you're really banging on the rocks, 1/8 should be okay, unless you have a large gap to cover. Diamond will hang up, it's your call. Aluminum will work, and will save a ton of weight, but it's not nearly as strong and you won't be able to weld it to your x-member, which might make it a bit harder to fab. You might want to check out some of the skidplates that are on the market, and see what they use. I used 1/8, braced with 1 1/2 angle on the front of my old toy, and I could hit anything I wanted with it.

6. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Is not aluminium too soft for a skidplate? I know it is light and everything but I have seen trucks getting stuck because the aluminium "grabbed" the rock it was supposed to slide over.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Yes it is quite a bit softer than steel. If you're going to spend a lot of time on your skids, I'd go with steel. To guard against the occasional scrape, Aluminum should work fine.

8. jekbrown

hmmm... i dunno... think I'll try the 1/8" steel with some angle iron support ribs. What I really need to do is get my welder up and running so I can start fabbing some stuff easier. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll save the aluminium (limey-speak version!) for lighter duty work...

j

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I'd go with 3/16" instead of 1/8". 1/8" bends to easy. I've got the dents in my Knight tranfer box to show for it from broken asphalt being droped in it, and it's 1/8" with crossmembers every 8"s.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you can find it, Core-10 is a good alloy choice. It is what those rock hauling OTR trailer beds are made from. Good abrasion resistance w/o being brittle as some of the other AR type alloys tend to be.
    I'd go with 1/8" (or 10 gauge) in short spans and 3/16" in long spans. 1/4" would be unreasonably heavy for all but the most brutal.

11. jekbrown

hmmmmmm... maybe 3/16" is the way to go...........hhhhhrrrrmmmmm. anyone have any pics? lots of good thoughts... but it'd be cool 2 see some pics too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

12. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

aluminum would be good as a engine skid plate, as it is rare to bash that area.

for a t-case, at least 3/16 and i would suggest 1/4

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think SP-50 is even tougher to dent than Core-10. The most I've seen with SP-50 is for it to be rolled, I've never seen it formed. With some bracing behind it you could use 1/8".

Rene

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

tungsten or magnesium!!!
    cool sparks and possibly flames

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The STOCK skid for the 203 on my '73 is 1/4" so I don't think I'd want 1/8"/10ga there, especialy w/ an alum case(208/241). 3/16" is nice for the fuel tank.

16. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

i would use titainium

17. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

i always thought t1 steel would make great skid plate material /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif