Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda of caulking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by adamforsythe, Jan 15, 2007.

1. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

What type of caulking to Chevy use in there trucks where the bed meets that side panels? What kind should i use on my blazer?
    Thanks
    Adam

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

seam sealer, most auto parts stores have it in caulking tubes, at least the ones that carry auto paint.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What he said:deal:

4. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I noticed that too..cheaper stuff works just as well!

I think the 3M "Body Seam Sealer" works OK,but the OEM stuff GM uses caused more rot than it prevented!..the 3M stuff is quite pricey,it was over ten bucks a tube last time I bought some well over 10 years ago..you can get quart cans too,and use a acid flux brush to spread it..

But I used regular Butyl rubber caulking designed for metal siding and gutters from Home Depot to caulk up the seams on the patches I put on the tail pan area of my 81 G10 van about 5 years ago,and its held up excellent!..better than the 3M stuff if you ask me..and it was only 3 bucks and change for a tube!..you cant tell it from the 3M stuff..it dries hard eventually,but takes quite some time too,whereas the 3M stuff skins over in a few hours..

Don't use RTV to seal body panels--it will eat the steel eventually,and cause more rust!..I've used roofing cement and asphalt roof patch stuff in tubes to caulk up floor patches too with good results..but beware it may remain sticky,dont use it where your clothes or feet will touch it!..lasts forever though...:crazy: