Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda paint to paint engine/ axles with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89BlazerK5, Aug 16, 2003.

1. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i'm gonna paint the engine before i put it back together, and i'm going to go ahead and paint the front axle while its out. the axle is going to be black, but i might paint the block hugger orange, and the intake manifold a silverish peweter color. should i just go to the hardware store and get the high heat spray paint? like rustolieum or something? should i hit it with a clear coat whem i'm done?

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

try the auto parts store..get high temp engine enamel...you'll be set, enamels are HARD

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm using two coats of a black, low-gloss engine enamel on my axles (got it at walmart). Pretty tuff as far as I can tell...haven't moved the axles around too much to see if it's really sticking well, but it looks good. Pics are in the link in my sig.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

just because its a enamel does not mean its hard but you DO want to use a enamel(unless you wanna spend alot of $$$). The other cheap choice you have is a expoxy paint... Rustolem isent that great but its not TO bad either if you can find a BLP Mobile Paints store they make some nice stuff the rust-kill is what you will wanna go with(its good up to 300degrees)

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

hig heat engine enamel will work the best for the engine. A hard enamel on the axles will last the longest but you really need to prep well. You can use polyeurothane paints on your engine. I did in my showcar. Matter infact my block is the same color as the car and it has lasted really well. Arund the header not so much.