Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what kinda tires should i buy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Mar 22, 2005.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

i want to get new tires and rims, i have about 1,000 to spend and i want 35/12.50/ and what ever size rim comes with that i want a tire that has an aggressive tread but can still be used for on road because that is what it will mostly be used for can anyone help me out with a tire and rim brand that will be my best bet

2. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

revos are great...i love mine(31x10.5x15) so far...but they're kinda pricey(vs the rest of the 31"s)...but i never want to skimp on tires as they keep ya from getting in trouble.

i was looking at the yokohama geolanders also(as they are cheaper)

oops i dont think revos are made that big

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

I BOUGHT THE 35" PRO comp mud terrains and i love them. they arent loud on the road , and i do mostly off roading on the beachy ares, so so far, they have mad me happy. i think 4wheelparts.com is having buy 3 get one free still

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're looking too save a few bucks, alot of people are happy with retreads

5. Habez

Habez Registered Member

I have 35x12.5R15 Pro Comp X-Terrains and I am very dissapointed in them, especially on a muddy trail.

6. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i just looked at the online and they dont look like they would be a great mud tire.

7. Habez

Habez Registered Member

I wasn't expecting a full out mud tire, and I was young and new to wheelin at the time when I bought them. But I would have expected they would be better than they perform in the mud

8. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Mtr's all always a good choice for on and off road. For a little more tame tread the bfg all's are great as well.

9. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

If you want a tough tire,and that will last on the highway check out the BFG mud terrain.

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

My truck has BFG Baja T/As on it, 31x10.5x15, and the tread is very agressive yet still quiet. I'm thinking I may go for a set of 33 or 35x12.5x15s, but right now, I have so much money stuck into my truck right now, I'll have to wait a good 3-4 months before i can afford them. BFG is the way to go... inexpensive, and 4 ply side walls for crawling safety

11. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

One simple phrase comes to mind...

"MT/R's Baby!" :D

12. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I ran a set of BFG muds, they were a great all around tire.

Lasted well, ballanced easy & worked good enough in the mud. The only thing i would say is to get them syped (sp??)
    if you spend much time on snowy roads or in the rocks. Doing that was like night abd day in those conditions.

13. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I 100% disagree. I couldnt be happier with mine. I have had them on slimy hill climbs and have not been dissapointed yet. I believe they are a great tire for the hard core off road rig that sees some pavement on occasion. I also think that pure mud wheeling is homo gay, and my buggy mianly sees rocks. I have wheeled it on muddy/rocky trails before though. After seeing the 35" X-terrains perform awesome in the Globe We-Rocks comp and SPANK a set of TSL's, I am sold.

14. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

BFG MT on either 15x8" or 15x10" rim. rockcrawler rims are cheapest and strongest, but also heaviest. eagle 589's are nice too, about twice as much as the rockcrawlers, but a little lighter , big plus if ure on 1/2 ton axles.

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

Oh ya, and you should get more miles out of a BFG M/T than u would a MTR or Xterrain

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mudding is homo gay, huh ??? Okay, nice thing too say. Just incase you don't know, there isn't rocks everywhere.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

maybe there on backwards there directional.

i was looking at them befor, they looked really good to me and the reviews of them seemed great.

one problem ..even throgh there made here in canada there was no distributer for them?!?!?! at least when they came out anyway..

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For a decently aggresive tread that sees street use I think of 2 tires.

Goodyear MTR's
    BFG MT's.

I have owned both sets of tires and I LOVE my MTR's. They are awesome tires. BFG MTs are no slouch but from my experience they do not do as well offroad as MTR's do. The MTR's seem to have a tougher sidewall then the BFG's do. The MTR's have good street manner and will last a decent amount of road miles. The BFG MT's will probably outlast the MTR onroad but the MTR will probably beat the BFG MT offroad. It is a tossup on what you need for your truck.

There are only 2 sets of tires I would ever by for my K5 again. Either bigger Goodyear MTR's or maybe a TSL with grooving if I decide to do alot of offroading and very little onroading.

Harley

19. VIVI

VIVI Registered Member

Anyone running Toyo Open Country M/T's?
    I'm really leaning on picking these up over the BFG MT's in the next 2 weeks.

Marc

20. roamingaz

roamingaz Newbie

I just put on a set of 35x12.50 goodyear mtr,I am very happy with them.
    I looked at alot of tires and goodyear always came up as the best all around tire that still had some agressive look.Cost me $750

"79 jimmy canback soft top,crate motor,alot of goodies.