Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kinda wheelin do you do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 11, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

yesterday, some friends and i camped out in the woods. to get to the campsite, we had to use my yukon to get the gear out there. it wasnt a challenging trail, but it was lots of run, with washouts, hills, sharp corners, etc. its really the first time ive NEEDED 4wd to get to an actual destination, and its a whole lot cooler than finding a mud puddle, hitting it, then turning around and hitting the same puddle again and again until you waterlog the engine and have to spend 2 days getting the truck running again. but i digress....

anyway, my question is, what kind of wheeling do you do?

do you spontaneously go for an hour or two? do you plan outings and go all day, maybe even a weekend trip? do you do both?

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have never done trail stuff but I wouldn't mind trying it sometime as long as there isn't any big rocks. Burt4x4 lives down the street from me and he knows of a few good trails around here. hipinion and I are also going to go for a camping/wheeling outing when he gets his truck done. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Right now I do almost only mud. Mud of all sorts, sloppy, watery, thick, but mostly deep mud. I also do a lot of offroad racing with local buddies, that is a lot of fun! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also do hill climbs when a good hill is found. I like playing tug of war and love pulling anything. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm building (Yeah, if I ever can afford everything I'll need.) my K5 to get out in the middle if the forest where most vehicles can't, for camping and what-not.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I usually plan an all day outing. Whether I get a call at 9 am that asks if I'm off work and available to 'wheel, plan it for weeks or months, or get a call that a friend is stuck and needs my help, I'm there.

My trips are disorganized compared to some of the rigs on this site....

5. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

we do a lot of desert trails and go duning. no mud around here, would love to go to the snow.I watched 4wheeler tv they did a piece on the grass valley fourwheel club and did a nice snow run looked great. anyone else go on any snow runs?

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i wheel many different ways sometimes ill plan out a run with the local group sometimes I'm just out hunting and find different places to wheel in the middle of the day sometime i just get in the truck and go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Used to get together with a few people and go all day. Just Mudding though, Not too many rocks around here.I enjoy watching people rock crawl but do not crawl myself,Too many Expensive parts to break.Any more it is hard to find anyone close by to plan any type of outing.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    anyone else go on any snow runs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing in the snow in my mom's yard yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif It was only about a foot deep, but it was pretty fun!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've gone on a couple of snow runs. Nothing unduces a tree's magnetic force more than snow.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I just picked up a set of 'V' bar chains for my 39.5's, and as soon as I get them sized to my tires I'm gonna go on another snow run.

Rene

10. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

man I grew up in alaska and never owned a 4x4, but rode with friends was real fun. tundra was the sh*@'s hard stucks.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Somedays, I plan my trip, and sometimes I'm real spontaneous. Most of the time though, I'm real prepared. I have a beverage and the snuff right here on the desk when I venture out to do a little web wheeling.................

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

ill do whatever i can, whenever i can.. not so much time for wheeling anymore... especially since CHEVY 4WD is a pansy ass and wont take his pretty truck anywhere but his driveway.. i used to beat the daylights out of my 4runner.. and now that i have a v8 powered solid axled truck.. i dont beat it since i replaced the rear end..

but if someone calls me, and says "im stuck, can you try and get me", i respond with "there's no trying"..
    like the s-10 who didnt think i was gonna get him outta that ditch..

we do sand trails, light mud, some exploring, etc here..

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I pretty much wheel wherever I can and whenever I can. I'm not really set up for anything specific, but I have maintained pretty good versatility. I still have a full bed (well it is full with the spare tire, toolbox, etc) and funtional lights, heat etc. I run more mud than I'd like just because it's easy to come by and it is a crowd favorite. I really like trails. I've been through a lot of Tellico and plan to do more as time allows. Generally I find banks and steep ledges to drive up and down. Having front and rear lockers with ram assist crossover steering makes for good manuverability even with 44s.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've gone on a couple of snow runs. Nothing unduces a tree's magnetic force more than snow.../forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All these years I thought we were doing something wrong. You mean to tell me that trees have a magnetic attraction, and that's why they like our body panels so much?

So wtf was the deal in September? Did the ground get pissed off that I never hit a tree, and choose to take the whole left side of my rig instead of just a door or fender?

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What kinda wheelin do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Driveway mainly with a little street and some backyard /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ive done all my wheeling in the mountains, trails runs with washouts, mini rock climbs,water crossings. usually plan a long weekend, rent a cabin, and go out for day trips. snow runs are really fun, nice and smooth compared to all the rocks and ruts on dirt. there is a local mud pit but i never been there, partly causs my rig is set up for trails and not romping thru mud, and partly causs i dont like to wash my truck, and i couldnt imagine washing all that darn mud off.

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The more "serious" stuff I do is with the club. It's mostly muddy trails. It's usually 2-6 hours long. Longer if someone does something stupid.

I've had a fascination with water though. Not many other people have this same fascination.

This past summer I spent around 60 hours looking for and scouting new trails. That might seem like a lot but it's pretty easy to spend an entire day scouting a square mile area, especially if it's really tight stuff. I gained a lot of scratches this summer going down trails that make Jeeps cringe. I can't even count the number of times I had to get out and reset my mirrors. The trails around here are numerous and they tend to branch many times.

I've never done a weekend trip. The whole idea of sleeping on the ground doesn't blow my skirt up none. The only girlfriend I had that was willing to sleep in a tent was the last one and thankfully she never wanted to go sleep in a tent.

18. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

95% of the time, my K5 is my daily driver. Mostly around the burbs of Chicago, but I've taken it to Wisconsin phesent hunting, down to Indianna, and out to Missouri.

Of the remaining 5%, I do mostly orgainzed trail runs. This is due to the fact that there's no legal places to wheel around here that aren't pay places. I've taken my rig to the Badlands once and Potowatamie once since I got it built this past summer. When there, I ran mostly 3 rated trails and hopped into other more "built" rigs when the going got REALLY tough!! Planning on Tellico in April.

I also have no aversion to using the truck to go explore fire roads, or ghost towns. Unfortunately, there appears to not be many of such up here.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

never spontaneously wheeled.. when I wheel my rig its always a planned wheelin trip to a designated OHV type park. I mean outside of those trips, Ive had the beast on muddy crappy roads and such but nothing I actually needed to engage 4wd for or anything.

j

20. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I used to be real spontaneous about how I went out wheeling. We'd go hit trails and mudholes when ever where ever as long as it was legal.

But recently (since I got my Burb airborne) my wheeling has been mostly parking lots.
    Once it's all back together I'll probably be more into planning my trips and such so I can be more organized and prepared for the dumb stuff I like to do.