Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What kinda work is needed to chop the frame?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudrunner78, Jun 13, 2002.

1. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

Ok I am by far not a engineer, I would like to remove part of my frame behind the rear wheels on my 78 k-10 long bed. I was thinking(thats when bad things happen) that if I remove my bed, chop the frame near the rear shackle flip brakets and add offset zero rates I will gain in the departure angle. I would also like to move my front axle forward and remove the bumper for approach angle. What kind of bracing will be required to brace the back, and how close to the shackle can I cut? I plan on building a flate bed with a fuel cell in a box, and adding a tool chest and some of the many ammo cans I own. Thanks Jesse

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

That would be fairly easy to do. I would add a brace across the back of the frame or reuse the one currently at the back of your frame. Using a flatbed save a lot of body work.

Kenny Whitman

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I would chop it right next to the bracket.Then use a piece of 2x4 tubing and recess it in the frame.This will be your brace and bumper combined.Add a pair of rectangle flush mounted trailer lights and you are set.You could also add a 2" receiver tube in the middle of the bumper and have a tow point.Brady

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You'll need to replace the rear cross member, but that's about it. No problem, that rear cross member doesn't do much any way, the one I built is much stronger, overkill actually, but it is also part of my rear suspension...

To see what I've done, look here.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you do the 2x4 retangular tubing for the crossmember cut it out for the oval sealed beam tail lights like they use on big trucks/ boat trailers. They mount in rubber gromets that also act as shock mounts. And being sealed they'll work under water too.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i just did this exact same thing...

look for the naches pictures for the blue chev flatbed witht eh fuel cell on the back...

just hack away... but keep the brack that holds the rear ogf the frame together...

7. mudrunner78

If I chop right at the shackle mount I will not run into any strength issues? I plan on using Hummvee taillight since I can get them for free, I want to install them flush. Iwonder what type of bumper I need on the back. Thanks Jesse

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you want, look at my webshots. My rig is bobbed 13" and I'm running a 20 gal rci alum fuel cell.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You won't have any frame strength issues as long as you move the rear cross member or build a new one. As for a bumper, it depends on what you want.

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

looks like you have an ongoing extensive project.id like to see the finished pro ject.it sounds pretty crazy /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. mudrunner78

yeah the project seems to be alittle bit of a big deal but I belive it will be well worth it. Plus now that I have a welder the flat bed will be easier. Jesse