Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what lift and tire combo?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87'k5boggin, Dec 13, 2006.

?

which lift and tires

1. 4'' lift with ORD 1'' add a leaf and 35'' tires

40.0%
  2. 6'' lift with 36'' tires

60.0%
  1. 87'k5boggin

87'k5boggin Registered Member

i have a 87' gmc jimmy fullsize with the tbi 350 and 700r4 and the np208 with the stock 1\2 ton axles and 4.10 gears, and i am looking to buy a lift and tires soon, but i am stuck between a 4 inch lift with an Off Road Design 1'' add a leaf with 35-36 tires or a 6'' inch with 35-36 tires? need sugestions, also vehicle will be daily driver and occasional off roader.

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

None of the above. Go 4" lift with 1/2" zero rates to position the axle for optimum clearance and then run the 36's with very minor trimming and probably some modified bumpstops.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep I vote with the above statement. I always tell poeple to go one size bigger than you think and usually after all the trimming and stuff they are way happy

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with trimming to fit bigger tires. I voted for 6" because I ran a 6" with 35's as a DD and loved it. Then once the bug had bit I put on bushwacker cut outs. then an 8" lift. then a 3" body lift. now it sits on 44's and there is no way I can drive it daily.

I lost the bushwackers and did some serious hacking so that I can take the body lift off. Run the 6" so that in the future if you want a bigger tire like a 37 or 38 you can fit it with some trimming or a zero rate or body lift.

5. 87'k5boggin

thanks for the replys but i really dont wont to cut up my body, my friend has a 87 k10 with a 4inch lift with 35s and only rubs when he goes up a hill and turns all the way in one direction and then he put on some 36s and rub when he turns and is flexing it a lot so im leaning with the 4 now.

6. HoodRich

HoodRich 1/2 ton status

39.5" Iroks, stock 64's and stock 52's.

[​IMG]

7. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

42inch Iroks around 4 inches of lift lotta trimming and custom rear shackles.. when I put the front 60 in I will be adding a 1 inch zero rate and moving the front axle forward... And I do DD mine right now

[​IMG]

8. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

if you dont want to have to do a thing to your driveshafts... go with a 4" lift and a ord 1" body lift. after four inches you have to modify your driveshafts.

9. SUPERSUB87

did you say lockrite 10bolt:eek1:

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats why I just sent him a spare set of axleshafts.

11. GEORGIA GABE

Got the shafts yesterday, thanks. Yeah, its a ten bolt front... you can snap axles like twigs if you crank it one way and floor it. I will have a 60 under it by the end of january, but I cant not wheel it...
    gabe:D

12. SUPERSUB87

You are my role model.

13. 87'k5boggin

ok i think i have made my mind up about my lift... go with the skyjacker 4'' lift with springs all the way around and a ord zero rate to move my axle forward and possibly a 1'' body lift. with 36'' tsl radials on some mickey thomson classic II's. anybody that fells like they need to talk me into something else shoot for it.

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

hoodrich, sweet look truck man, can you get some more pics, like the amount of trimming you did and such? plannin on doing a similar setup on my next truck. thanks

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't cut any fenders, you'll regret it after it's done if you use it mainly as your transportation. Trimmed fenders generally aren't attractive and will bring the look downhill on an onroad vehicle that still needs to look "streetable" and for people not to get the "clunker" thought when seeing it.

I would go 6" lift on 35's IMHO. Your Mickey Thompson Classic 2's sound good. If your main objective is to have it as a daily driver, many of the offroad special stuff that gets reccommended is sometimes not the best route.

16. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

17. GEORGIA GABE

I dissagree... cut the fenders... it is very liberating

18. 87'k5boggin

ok stop telling me to cut the fenders cuz im not going to cut them thats final i have found me a nice set of pro comp 16x10 black 8179 wheels for $350 and they are a done deal, now next on the list is the zero rates and then the 4'' lift after all that is said and done i will get my 36x12.50x16 super swamper tsl radials.

19. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

4" TC ez rides and 36x12.50x16 tsl radials on 16x8 rims with 4.5BS or 4.25 don't remeber... they didn't rub at all when I was running that setup but I'm pretty sure if those tires were on 10" wide rims I would rub alot... so a zero rate is a must with those 10" wide rims. and you probably should push the axle forward well your at it.

[​IMG]

20. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

and those tsl radials have very thin sidewalls too... so make sure to get a warranty on them too...

[​IMG]