Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Lift Do You Run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGCHEVY4X, Jun 2, 2005.

?

What lift do you run or prefer?

1. Superlift

36 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. Skyjacker

29 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Tuff Country

77 vote(s)
    30.1%
  4. BDS

31 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Other

83 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. BIGCHEVY4X

BIGCHEVY4X Registered Member

I have an 83 3/4 pickup and i want to get a 6'' lift but i wanted some opinions first. Im looking at Tuff Country, Superlift, Skyjacker and BDS. I want the best on road handling and off road flex for the cheapest price. Do any of you guys run these kits or know how they hold up? I really like BDS's no bull lifetime warranty but ive never even heard of them untill about last week and have no idea what their price range is.

2. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Well, BDS is pretty tight lipped with their prices. Keeping in mind I am in Alaska so the price is a little higher, I am looking at just under $1200 for a complete 6 inch BDS system with springs all the way around. Tuff Country and BDS seem to be what most people recommend on this board. I think Tuff Country is just a touch cheaper. Good Luck!

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

i got a great deal through ord on my TC lift parts at the end of last with there sale they had befor there prices went up. i spent allmost 1700.00 on all kinds of stuff.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am running 4" BDS up front and 3" tuff country in the rear. with BDS they offer a lifetime no questions asked warrenty. Tuff Country has the softest spring rate and BDS is right behind them

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I can't recommend Superstiff. I have their 4" springs up front, and it's pretty rough. I would imagine a 6" would be like riding on square wheels.

John

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

stock... shackle flip in rear, stock 52s up front.

j

7. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

tuff country :grin:

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

all Chevy and echobit :D

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

BDS! cant beat the warrantee!

i just put on their 8" lift leafs, and they actually ride better than the 3" Trailmaster that were on there granted the springs that were on there were crap, it was a huge improvement. and i actually ended up getting 9.5" of lift!

they were gonna charge me $1200 for the 8" lift and about $1000 for 6".

i didnt buy the whole system. What i did was buy the front and rear leaf springs (all leafs, no blocks) and front and rear box kits (include u-bolts, bushings and new hardware). that cost me $720, i priced the 6" with the same combo all leaf and it was $660. then i went out and bought my own shocks, and got a used steering arm and drop drag link, which all cost about $200. so total i spent $920 for the complete 8" lift doing it my way, which saves $280!

if i were you id do the same thing!

hope this helps
    -james

ps. i have a friend down the street who is running 6" BDS and got a net of a little more than 7" of lift. its weird how that works out, i dunno if its jus my neighborhood or what haha but it works for me!

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

:haha: :rotfl:

2.5" Rough Country (square cement wheel riding) with a 6" BDS planned by years end.

11. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

run stock,except for 2 inch blocks at rear...she runs like if she would have 44000 lbs axles :frown1:

I guess thats old style 3/4 ton chev trucks for ya :D

12. browningejm

browningejm Registered Member

I put a rough country 4" lift with a heavy 8474 warn winch/bumper, it rides much better than stock, and can pull out tree stumps

13. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

I have a little bit of everything on my blazer and im very happy
    6" TC springs, 1" zero rate AAL front
    rancho steerin arm, scored on ebay
    ORD flip rear, 1" zero rate, had a 2" procomp AAL but took that out and a 2" block in to fix the driveline vibes
    Procomp extended SS brake lines
    Procomp ES3000 shocks
    trailmaster shims...lol
    and some custom made u-bolts.

Needed 7" lift and was in the range of 1300$. I love how it rides and handles (i acutally liked havin the rear AAL in there, ridewise, better than the block, but i hated the vibes...)

14. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

BDS! Cant beat the warranty or the price. I dont know how much they are now, but when I bought my bds springs, they were $98 per spring pack. Thats pretty cheap. They also ride and flex really well. My front BDS springs flex just as well as my rears, and I am running a shackle flip in the rear with stock springs.
    -Harrison

15. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Mine is a 1982 K20. My first "lift kit" was a 4 inch pro-comp about 3 years ago. It road fairly decent, better than stock. It consisted of front springs, steering arm, u-bolts, rear blocks, ES3000 shocks and other hardware for about $450.00. I added swaybar disconnects and I was very happy with it. About 1 yr later, I installed an ORD shackle flip ($185.00) in the rear for a total of 8 inches with the blocks. For the front, I used Superlift 8 inch springs ($235.00), a Skyjacker pitman arm ($75.00), and Pro Comp ES3000's ($120.00) all around. I ended up having warranty issues after a year with the Superlift springs (sagging and broken center pin.), so 4 Wheel Parts in Reno exchanged them free of charge. When I replaced the springs, I added ORU 1 inch lift shackles ($50.00) up front.
    Most people say my truck rides rough, but I am used to it. It flexes pretty decent. Even with 9 inch lift in the front and 8 in the rear, the rear still sits 1-1/2 inches higher so I will probably go to 8 inch bds springs with zero rates and my shackles in the future. I am not sure that I would use Superlift springs again, but I was very happy with Pro-Comp products. But no matter what you do, add swaybar disconnects to it, they are the single greatest ride improvement that you can do.

16. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Products not to use.

Trailmaster, and Rough Country/Heckethorn. Bad quality, rough ride.

17. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the rough country 4" and echobit flip. I heard the RCs ride rough but I have no complaints. I guess becouse by burb is a bit heavyer. Ditching the swaybar really helped though. Since they were free, (brand new) I got my moneys worth allready :D

18. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

8" Superlift up front, 4" in the back with shackle flip and 1" zero rates up front.

19. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ditto for me. Rough Country 4" springs up front and echobit flip for the rear. Rear's use the stock leafs with 30plus years on them so they are broken in well and ride as soft as pillow. The fronts are stiffer for sure, but not to the point that I would say it's excessive. It is a truck afterall. For the price I could not beat it. I didn't have funds available to run TC or BDS springs and buy the shocks and steering correction needed. My kit came with everything, springs (front), u-bolts, 4 shocks, raised steering arm and the rest of the hardware I needed to complete the lift. That was $295 delivered to my door with FREE shipping. Had I went TC I would have spent 350-400 for springs and then still had to shell out another 150 for shocks and 45 more for the steering arm.

I would love the TC or BDS stuff, just not in my budget. Besides spending almost $1000 for a lift on a truck I paid $500 for is hard to explain to the wife..... :D

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Tuff Country lift on my truck currently but if I had to do it again I would use BDS springs.

Harley