Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What lift????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Mar 4, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

Yes, I did do a search, but I didn't find anything that gave me information on what I want.
    Here is what I want/need:
    I am looking for a 4" suspension lift with blocks or add a leafs for the rear(keeping it cheap for now)
    My question is this: I want a lift that doesn't ride too stiff. I also want it to have good flex. I was looking at tuff country ez rides until I saw the spring rate table on here that said the rate was only 295 lbs/sq. inch. I though that these may make the back of my 87 blazer sag down with a bunch of people and stuff in the back or towing something. I will not be towing anything huge like a car trailer, but will tow occasionally if I need something. I do not want my blazer's butt to sag! Now I am thinking about skyjackers but am not sure. I will be fourwheeling and want flex! I also dont want to spend more than about $350. What type of lift should I get?
    Thanks for the help. Harrison

2. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

If you are keeping your stock springs in the back then why are you worried about the rear sagging? It will sag no differently then if you were to keep the stock suspension.

3. MudFlap

MudFlap 1/2 ton status

Do a shackle flip instead of blocks or add-a-leafs.

4. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

tuff country 4 inch springs in front, offroad design shackle flip in rear

5. AK-5GUY

OOps what was I thinking. I guess I was just too worried about it to realize this. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Oh well. Thanks though

6. AK-5GUY

I would like to do a shackle flip, but I looked at the install on here and it said I may have to cut the exhaust and remove the gas tank. I would do this, but I dont think I would really feel like it. After all I do have to put in a new motor, new rear axle, re-gear my front axle, fix the electrical system, put on a lift, and all that other stuff. But I may one day when I get the money and feel like it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    am looking for a 4" suspension lift with blocks or add a leafs for the rear

was looking at tuff country ez rides until I saw the spring rate table on here that said the rate was only 295 lbs/sq. inch. I though that these may make the back of my 87 blazer sag down with a bunch of people and stuff in the back or towing something.

[/ QUOTE ]

The spring rate for the front springs won't matter if you have a block and/or add a leaf in the rear.

8. AK-5GUY

I have just one more question for you. I have a 1 ton 14 bolt ff rear axle that I am putting in. If i keep my 1/2 ton 10 bolt front axle, should I order the lift for the 1/2 and 3/4 ton blazer/jimmy/suburban that I always see, or should I order it for a 1 ton truck? Thanks.
    Harrison

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    should I order the lift for the 1/2 and 3/4 ton blazer/jimmy/suburban that I always see, or should I order it for a 1 ton truck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Order for the 1/2 ton. The 1 ton uses 3 larger ubolts and 2 regular bolts.

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I just noticed you are planning on putting in a 1-ton 14? I am not trying to insult, but you are aware that a 1-ton 14 into anything smaller (3/4, 1/2, K5) will necessitate moving the spring perches and shock mounts, correct?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

4" huh ??? Get the Tough Country, or BDS, with the ORD 4" Shackle Flip in the rear. No Block, No add-a-leafs, and a good ride. You'll still need the raised steering arm and extened break lines.

12. AK-5GUY

[ QUOTE ]
    I just noticed you are planning on putting in a 1-ton 14? I am not trying to insult, but you are aware that a 1-ton 14 into anything smaller (3/4, 1/2, K5) will necessitate moving the spring perches and shock mounts, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
    They have already been moved. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. AK-5GUY

After reading all of this, I think that I have decied to go with the 4" tough country springs up front and a 4" offroad design shackle flip in the rear. Exactly how hard is the shackle flip to install yourself? Will I absolutely need new brake lines, and will I have to lower the transfer case or anything like that for 4 inches? Also, what shocks should I get for an alright ride on road, with good offroad performance and travel for under $40 a piece? Thanks.
    Harrison

14. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would like to do a shackle flip, but I looked at the install on here and it said I may have to cut the exhaust and remove the gas tank. I would do this, but I dont think I would really feel like it. After all I do have to put in a new motor, new rear axle, re-gear my front axle, fix the electrical system, put on a lift, and all that other stuff. But I may one day when I get the money and feel like it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The solution to your problem comes in the form of the Echobit/Gravity Fab shackle flip. It bolts right up to your existing hanger, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to mess with your gas tank.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE SHACKLE FLIP

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

15. AK-5GUY

Oh yeah, almost forgot. How much fender trimming will be needed for this lift and 35x12.50's? Is trimming for this much hard? Thanks
    Harrison

16. AK-5GUY

[/ QUOTE ]The solution to your problem comes in the form of the Echobit/Gravity Fab shackle flip. It bolts right up to your existing hanger, and I'm pretty sure you don't have to mess with your gas tank.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like a great idea! The only thig is, it says that it gives 5 and 3/4 inches of lift. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I dont think my truck is sagging in the rear. Will it look funny with this and a 4" front lift, or should I get the 4" front and a 1 inch body and just put the body in the front? Also, this much lift seems like it would require lengthening of the drive shaft that the 4" offroad design shackle lift would not. Help? Im confused. Thanks though.
    Harrison

17. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

do you mean just do half of the bodylift? like the just on the front? I dont think that would be a very good idea.. unless somone has done it.. but i seriously doubt it.

18. AK-5GUY

The echobit shackle flip sounds good and easy to install, I just dont want to get into lengthening driveshafts or lowering my transfer case or anything like that. If anyone has used the echobit flip, please tell me what you will have to do, or if it really will level out with a front 4" lift like it says on their site. Thanks.
    Harrison

19. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

The truth of the matter is that our stock rear springs tend to sag. Those Echobit brackets will put your rear at the right height to match the front. If you have the top off and truck empty w/o any gear and an empty gas tank, yes the rear will be a little higher than the front. But after you load everything up you will be just right.

My own preference is that I want the rear to be a little higher just for that reason. It worked out great for me. I have stock rear springs with the ORD flip. As far as installing that goes, it was just a lot of work. The tank did have to be removed and the rivets had to be taken off to get the stock spring hangars off. That was a PITA to get off by the way.

The end result between the two is you still have your stock springs so the flex will be nice, and you'll have the lift you desired. Some people get lucky and do not have to worry about pinion angles like I did. The ORD flip put it at the right angle for me. Others will have to shim down the tcase a bit or shim down the pinion some. Each case seems to be unique. There really are no guarantees with any of this as to what you will have to do with your driveline angles.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with the Echobit brackets because with a couple bolts I could be back in stock form should I ever sell the truck. (which will never happen in a million years) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I highly recommend the Echobit Shackle Flip Brackets as they are a high quality product and the price just can't be beat. No I'm not affiliated with Echobit Products, I have my own to worry about. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I have Mike's (echobit's owner) 57" leaf adapter shackle flip on my truck. I put it on tuesday ind it took me all of about an hour if that to put it on. The flip is very easy to put on and is VERY beefy also. There was a couple guys at my buddies shop that say the flip and liked it alot. One guy wants a set for his 67 bronco. I would recommand Mike flip to anyone.