Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What lights do you have?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

It almost seems like I have asked about this before, I dunno. Searching never does much good. I'm thinking a lift will be too expensive to get for my birthday, so I want to ask for some lights and a hi-lift, probably. I would love to see what type of lights yall are using, and year your opinions on them.. I know lights on a roof look tacky to many of you, but I'm thinking I want 4 or so on my roof. Summit has some decent prices on kc knock off's, but I'm just not sure. Having maybe two for long range would be ok, but I'm alot more concerned with driving lights that will throw a super wide beam on the trail, so I can see what's 10 feet in front of me. I definitely need something other than the stock headlights, as I can hadly see at all with them.
    thanks,
    James

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

First thing - are you still running your headlights off of the factory harness, or have you upgraded to this kind of relay setup?

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/exterior/headlight_relay.htm

It's quite cheap to do, and really makes an enormous difference when it comes to getting full voltage to your lights.

3. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I have 8 after market lights... and i had my alterantor respooled to about 160 amps. I got the lights off ebay for like 140.

muddyblazer.jpg

trucklights.jpg

4. 78Suburban

I'm gonna need to make a light bar if I do get some

I would love to see some pictures of light bars (on the roof) yall have made, and maybe some exact deminsions, materails, ect..
    thanks,
    James

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

a few:D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D :eek1: :D

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Just 2 6 inch round kc's for now on the DD :D

8. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put some of the 8" round Pro-Comp lights on the front of my K5 and they are pretty damn bright. Fairly cheap for an 8" also. You can buy a relay, fuse holder, a switch, and some wire from auto-zone and make your own harness. Or just buy one of the pre-made harness that are available.

I think Eagle lights used to make KC knock-offs as well, so you might see if you can find a 2 light package that comes with the lights and the wiring harness. Makes things easier.

9. 78Suburban

So it would be significantly noticable even with the old single style headlight setup? I just may have to look into this..
    Still may try to get a few extra lights, cause I do alot of night wheelin.
    thanks,
    James

10. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I just bolted a set of 6" Daylighters to my bumper. Anyone have any suggestions of good, cheap light bars that fit our trucks well?

11. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

im in the process of wiring up 4 kc 69 series long range lights to the roof, 2 procomp 6x9 lights to the bumper along with a set of 55 wat driving lights to the grill on my 87 p/u. gunna be nice and bright for the backroad driving. i think im also going to do the headlight relay thing posted above.

nad- i think smittybuilt made one and theres the one you can get out of lmc.

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I just bought the cheap, black 80 watt Pro-Comps. ~$70 with wiring kit. Bright and haven't had any problems.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Definetely rewire and eventually you'll want more alternator output, especially if you add in a CB. For extra lights I added LightForce 170s. I sometimes get fog (predawn) so I leave on the yellow lens, and then for daylight at night, I put on the clear lens'.

SubEvacUnit.jpg

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

bought 5 kc's used for $80 to my door.. 1 has a broken lense..
    got 4 of them on my front bumper
    5 on rollbar are broke... walmart sells some for $10 each.. I know someone that bought them and loves them..... so gonna put 5 of them on the rollbar this summer... also gonna make some mounts.. I got 2 eagle eye ii's that I am going to mount on my rollbar backwards this summer too.... someone wants to flick their high beams at me... :haha:

also dont forget that you need relays when you hook up lights....
    what is everyone using?
    I was told to use relays from a car in the junkyard. My father showed me that on our 1996 Jimmy (just sold it) that it has 4 relays right on the firewall...
    I went to a junkyard and searched for about 2 hrs...
    2hrs and $15 later I came home with this....

[​IMG]

8 relays and 16 fuses..... out of a 1989 olds 88... nice thing is that the relays can be bought from any local parts stores if they go bad.. or junkyard for that matter....

I have it as a big mess right now but am going to clean it up once I get my crew cab in the future....

I have 2 lights on the rollbar to 1 relay... 2 more to another... then they goto the light switches... 30A relays so I am good with 2 per relay.... got plenty more relays for other lights and fuses inline with the lights and other stuff if I wish....

also under the hood... I was able to use 2 bolts that already existed.. believe it was actually studs that had nuts on them... this cab is off of a diesel... and had a plastic inner so I believe that is what they were holding on.... but that is why it is on an angle....
    [​IMG]

my switches are here...
    [​IMG]

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 10 cheap ones from HF - $10 a pair on sale - that I use as uility lights to set up camp,change tires, etc. They have actually worked great and who cares if one breaks at that price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

my light setup and custom made switch box with realays that powers all my lighting.

[​IMG]

so here you can see the replaced headlights with 2 floods with 2 bulbs each, square spots pointed outwords, two yellow fog spots, and two white spots, also some crappy driveing lights off my brothers old car wired to a ground contact switch under the hood, i always have light, :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That kind of bargain is so cool:D

18. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeow

ET.

19. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I use to have two hella driving lights under my bumper and two KCs on top of my bumper.

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

unless you plan on doing high-speed desert racing... do you really need extra lights? I know I never have...

j