Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what locker to get for 10b?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Jul 16, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

what locker should i get for my 10 bolt axle. how do i know if my carrier is open or has a gov-lock? any one have pictures? i know that the detroit and the arb are the best, but money is too much of an issue with the arb and the almighty god of car modifications(dad) says no detroit. so i guess im asking what limited slip diff should i get for the jimmy? im hoping that a shop can do this while im on vacation with the family next week. i have enough money, ijust dont know what locker to get. dont tell me to upgrade to a 14 bolt first and then get a detroit becasue thats not what im askin for. thanks in advance

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Lock Right. They're easy to install, they work, and they're fairly inexpensive. I had an Auburn limited slip, and it was great for a few years. They wear out and can't be rebuilt. A gov lock will have a ratchet/cam kind of a thing. It's been a really long time so I'm digging into the grey matter here. Basically when enuff torque is applied the cam flips over and engages the locker. They're not sposed to be very reliable. I've got a 10 bolt with 3.73 gears and 33" tires and it works flawlessly. Some people complain about the clicking noise it makes. I don't have any issues with it at all. I think its sounds tuff /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I think the lock right goes for about $250, to install you remove the axles, remove the spider gears and slip in the lockright. Its about that simple so you can save a few bucks by installing yourself.

4. 88jimmyoungowner

i was thinking about the lock-right, and where do i get one? will it replace a gov-lock if i have one in my carrier?

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I'm sure most 4x shops keep a few in stock. I've seen them in mags too. No it will not replace a gov a lock carrier. It HAS to be an open carrier. About the best way (besides cracking open the cover)to check for a gov lock is go do a brake stand in the dirt. An open diff will only spin one tire. (normally)

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I've got a detroit in my 10b rear. I love the thing. It makes a little clicking and doesn't have the best on-road manners but off road it can't be beat /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

im just curious, why does your dad not want you to get a detroit?

8. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

if i had a 10bolt i would weld it.

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Jack it up and spin one tire as fast as you can the other tire will turn the opposite direction at first if it is a gov lock after about 3-4 revolutions it will go WHAM and then the other tire will spin the same direction as the tire you are turning. If it keeps turning opposite then it is open. A lock-rite will not live in your 10 bolt if it is driven much on the road. They are way better suited for the front. If he will not let you get a detroit then either weld it and deal with the tire wear or put a detroit soft locker in it. If your dad does not want you to have a detroit it is probably because of horror stories he has heard about dumb ass rednecks having problems with them. I can call them that because I come from a long line of rednecks and understand their mentality very well.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Detroit's are bullet proof, they work in an open carrier, which is not necessarely true with some of the others. You will break an axle shaft before you break a detroit, trust me I know this for a fact. I now run alloy shafts and have not had a single problem, just keep the oil clean. If he is worried about the noise then get a powertrax locker, they are a little quieter, but don't seem to lock as solidly.

11. 88jimmyoungowner

ok, so they wont last long in the back. my dad does not want one for the safety issues involved with one being on the street, and becasue i dont go off-raod enough for it to be a good enough trade off

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm running lockrites in my 10 bolt. I like them. They work good, They are easy to install, and the price is right. I have had it in Snow,rocks,mud,sand, steep hill climbs, and quite a bit of towing. it is holding up well with my 33" MT Tires and is a stout little unit. It has good street manners(If you dont mind the clicking when going around corners). it handles different than an open diff but it is nothing you cant get used to in a hurry.
    However I have heard of problems with them when running tires over 35". if you have tall big tires a detroit would prolly be better.
    Nationaldrivetrain.com has them $237.00

13. PIRANHA

PIRANHA Registered Member

YOU CAN ALSO GET THE PARTS YOU NEED FROM FWP.THEY HAVE STORES ALL OVER THE US.YOU CAN CALL ME IN THE SAN ANTONIO STORE AND I CAN GET YOU ONE AT A DISCOUNT PRICE.
    LARRY