Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what locker up front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Dec 22, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What are you guys using? I used a lock-right with 35s in my Jimmy, but not sure if one would hold up to 38s. It is for a 10 bolt front. I dont want to hear go with a dana 60 either, someday it will get one.

Thanks Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

seeing how your in Arizona, you wont be in much Mud, locker on a half ton front in dry stuff is gonna be kinda rough...... but.... Stick with the strongest, Detroit.

3. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm running a D-44,. Strength is about the same. I have a Lock-right W/ 37 MT/R's. I broke a alxe shaft on bump dump at Blazer Bash. I ran the rest of the day w/ the broken axle shaft, on Hell's Revenge.The locker held up fine. I'm still running it. I bought it used. It was used w/ 35's .It had a couple of years of use on it before I got it.

Later Ed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have a D44 front with 4:56s and 35s. I just put in a Tru Trac and I like it a lot. What do you have in the rear? Because thats my problem, I have a Tru Trac rear as well... limited slip front+limited slip rear=lots of brake pedal on and offs to get both to lock up. If you have a locker rear, the TruTrac will be great. If you dont, lock the rear then get the TruTrac will be great. Like I said, I like the front TruTrac... I just need to lock my rear up a little more solid.

Mike

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am only running 32's with my lockright front, but the previous owner ran it with 35" MTR's with no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Dan, no you can't have it back)

Personally if you hadn't given me a sweet deal on your old front end and I didn't go LS I would have went ARB or Detroit. If you don't have the cash, you can sell me some more parts. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I only dropped $1200 for your old parts this summer. I probably should have just bought the whole truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh well. On your Burb, I think ARB would be cool. A little pricey but very cool and nice if you need to turn it alot when you need 4x4.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about looking into the new electric locker. I think Eaton is making it, would like something like that for my D60.

7. DesertDueler

What else fo you need Harley? BTW hows that tranny doing? Anyways I am looking into a ARB for it. The burb is alot bigger than the Jimmy so I know I have to be more careful. That and now since I am on 38.5s /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am trying to decide on alloy axles and CTM joints, or a custom dana 60. Mostly it will be used for sand (glamis), and a little wheeling since the burb will have a hard time fitting in places out here. I should have keep the 60 I had, but ohwell.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The tranny is running good. (knock on wood) I am leaving for Colorado on the 6th so it has a long haul ahead. There are lots of things I think I need part wise, but I have no cash for them. I just got my rear shock relocation kit from 55Willy so I am going to get that welded in ASAP so I will have some rear shocks again. Good luck with the Burb and those 38.5's and 1/2 ton's. If you go to alloys in them you should last for awhile.

I am ok for now on my 10 bolt front, but when I get the 37's I want I will be really worried about it unless I get alloy axles & CTM's. Later

Harley

P.S. What did you do with those sets of 35's & 33's you had? I could use some mud tires cheap for CO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. DesertDueler

I still have the 35s and 33s. Not going to sell the MTRs, but want to sell the 33 MTs. Let me know.

Dan

10. NE-RokToy

NE-RokToy Registered Member

If I had the money i would run an ARB, if not stick with a lock right. You will break a axle shaft before you hurt a locker (unless its a detroit then you may blow up the locker because you break an axle)

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd be looking at 30-spline axles for 10-bolt before I sunk money into a locker. Either aftermarket or 89-91 Blaxer/Jimmy/Burb.

Actually, I'd try welding it up first, so see if I like it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Then I could make a better decision as to locker, spool, open, etc.

12. DesertDueler

Well considering I use to run a spool in the rear of my jimmy and a locker up front, I know how it will feel. As for 30 spline axles, it isnt going to make it any stronger since they use the same u-joints, and that is what breaks 99 percent of the time.

Dan

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

considering I use to run a spool in the rear of my jimmy and a locker up front

'nuff said! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reason I cited the 30-spline upgrade would be to let you get into the strongest largest/aftermarket shaft available if this kind of breakage was experienced:
    [​IMG]

Of course, the newer 30-spline stock shafts would be an interim solution.

14. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

All the tech reports I have read say to use a selectable locker up front.