Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What make's being a Chevy Guy/Gal Worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zakk, Oct 18, 2001.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

What make\'s being a Chevy Guy/Gal Worth it?

I just was cruising cyberspace to waste time at work and stumbled across some boards over at Pirate4x4.com. It seems that the Heep (je*p) and Flawd (f*rd) ppl spend more time flaming eachother than helping. Also every j*ep seems to be a GM on a j*ep frame. Our parts are cheap (compared to others) boneyards a'plenty and every aftermarket company worth its weight in feathers makes tons of stuff for our trucks
    So my Question is:
    Why are we Chevy People and Why do We have it so Good?[​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: What make\'s being a Chevy Guy/Gal Worth it?

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why are we Chevy People and Why do We have it so Good?

<hr></blockquote>
    Because we can and we're just that damn good.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    "It wastes drinking time."<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Chevy's are the best because we don't Fix Or Repair Daily, and Jeeps have Just Enough Extra Parts. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

HUM...Seems like I fix mine everyday that's why it's built not bought, and I enjoy almost every minute of it,I have had other trucks etc. and Chevy's have and ALWAYS will be the best!!!!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I fix mine all the time. All vehicle break, regardless of who makes them.

Two words make me a Chevy man:
    PARTS INTERCHANGABILITY.

My friend has a '79 F150, and it's a great truck, but finding parts is not nearly as easy as it is for a Chevy.

That said, if I had the money, I'd still keep my truck, but I'd buy a new Ford F350. The one I want doesn't have any Ford powertrain parts anyway, and they're the only trucks offered new with straight axles and leaf springs. The one I want specifically is a Powerstroke Diesel, ZF 6 speed, and Dana Axles. I'm not sure, but I think that Ford uses either a New Venture or Borg-Warner transfer case. I think it's NVG if I remember right.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

FULLSIZE and simple.

my friends are always amazed at how much room there is under the hood. easy to work on not only because parts are plentiful, but things are easily accessible.

FULLSIZE is safer, too. IMO.

MTPockets

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml</a>

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> The main reason is this ............ GOD LIKES US BETTER !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

AMEN!!! [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming

im not so sure its that great..on word...AVALANCHE!!! eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww

and about pirate..everyone knows they are a bunch of tools.

would you mind un-wedging your fullsize from between those trees? your blocking the trail.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by aaaaggh on 10/18/01 11:47 PM.</FONT></P>

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Its all in the family? Parts/Tradition/Superiority?
    If you see a chevy on the roadside its been abused...or just bad luck....
    Other makes I can't say that for

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree with Tim here... all vehicles eventually will break down. Although there is a difference of exactly what goes wrong, how tough and much money it is to replace, and when it fails. Personally I'm not a Ford hater... Their trucks are great(minus the half a trucks...aka exploders, rangers...etc)their cars on the other hand have had their problems, but GM has had problems of their own as well. Dodge is pretty much my hated make... mostly cause IMO they are junk. I don't think they have made a vehicle combo that hasn't had at least one major flaw since the late eighties. The Cummins is probably the best bet with them.

I'm not trying to start WWIII here, but I really think the "one make rules and everything else sucks bar none" attitude is kinda lame. Truthfully if I'm buying a brand new vehicle... most likely it is gonna be a F350 Superduty w/ a manual, a Nissan or Toyota pickup, or a Japanese car (Most likely a Honda or Toyota ... or one of their offbreeds). Also I have to give the thumbs up to Ford and Chrysler because they are attempting to give people what they want... both have some older styling vehicles out or soon to be out that are pretty cool (Prowler,PT,re-release of the T-bird). Also both are attempting to keep up a high performance rear wheel drive vehicle (Mustang finally has some of the muscle under the hood that can come semi close to a Camaro... Viper). Now GM on the other hand seems to have their head in a hole. They have a great packaged Camaro that is very powerful, reliable, and affordable that they are now gonna kill... Then let's re-release it but kill the affordablity aspect as it will basically be a corvette w/ a different badge. Also let's throw the whole future of GM on this new chaisis design that all the new Cadillacs are riding on. I guess we should of seen this coming... I mean look at the truck line... ahh let's keep TBi injection from 87 till 95... heck Ford only had a port type fuel injection system on their trucks in 1985... Then let's kill the Caprice and Impala SS lines and give away the taxi and police vehicle sales... as well as the last 4 door RWD... opps... well let's bring back the Impala as a V6 FWD... and the list goes on... YUCK! Frustrating...

Don't get me wrong... I love the old GM's... especially the trucks from the late sixties til 87[​IMG],and the new 5.3 truck motor and the use of Allison trannys in some of their trucks is awsome, but some of their other thinking is absolutely retarded IMO.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a ford...

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>

13. BIGDEAL

BIGDEAL Registered Member

How many F*rds were in Top Truck? O.K. Where did IT place?
    I think we made a point!

14. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Im actualy a Ford person,I just got my Blazer cuz it was too good of a deal to pass up.What makes it worth it?Driving past a jeep on the trail that has a broken axle and walking your truck over the rock pile that he broke it on,all the while hes sayin that it gets pretty nasty up ahead and that I should turn around cuz I aint gonna fit.As far as the Pirate board goes flaming is standard on all boards.Thats why I spend 99% of my time online here.You can voice your views here and not have 20 people throwing up rainbow symbols,middle fingers,and telling you your an idiot.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I can honestly say I am a Chevy/GM fan just probably because my father was before me. And that is where I learned. While an engine is an engine and a suspension is a suspension, I know GMs better than anything else because that is what I have always had.

When it comes to cars, neither Ford nor Chrysler can come close to the GM power. My '96 V6 Firebird has 200 HP. My ex-wife's '97 V8 Cougar has only 205 HP. The V8 Firebirds and Camaros have 300+ HP straight off the lot. Find a Ford or Chrysler or any import with comparable performance at the same price. Try it, you won't find any. But, fit and finish for ALL US made vehicles is still lacking behind the imports (sad to say).

I know that if I were to buy a new truck, it would still be a GM. While I love GMC, they have just gotten too fancy for me. I need a truck, not a leather-lined SUV. Next year I plan to buy my girlfriend a Wrangler. Why? She likes them. And Jeeps are very capable off-raod vehicles. And they, like GMs, have a ton of aftermarket parts and accessories for them. When it comes to smaller 4x4s, I much prefer Jeeps. While the new Trailblazer isn't bad, the smaller Blazers (old S10s) are some of the most boring vehicles on the road styling wise (well, except for the Explorer and its brethren).

I am GM proud and always have been. Go #3!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was raised a Chevy guy. My Dad was and I am. He currently owns 2 F*rds and has a company F*rd. The two he owns were screamin deals. The first was a 1990 F-150 4x4. I think its a POS but he bought it for $1 from his work. The other was a 1992 F-350 4x4 duel cab with a 460. Personally I like this truck. Its not bad, but its not Chevy. He paided $13,500 and blue book was $18K. I personally do have the Chevy is better then everything else attitude because they are, but I do give respect were respect is due. If I see a well built F*rd, D*dge then I'll say thats a nice truck. I personally don't have much love for imports though. Nothing is better then a built Chevy. Find a better motor the the SBC or BBC. Find parts cheaper. Find parts that will interchange like a Chevy. Find a truck more reliable. You can't do it. My Chevy has never left me anywhere. F*rd has.

P.S. Don't even get me started on Heeps.

17. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I just kind of fell into it, my parents bought a '74 K5 when they moved to colorado and then bought the '82 in '83 when they needed another reliable tough family wagon/commute warrior. if we didn't live at the end of a steep road that required 4wd, I might have been more into cars, but you can't do much outdoors around here without 4wd, so that was about it. They kind of gave me the K5 when I was old enough to drive it and it's been all uphill since then.

Starting over, I'd probably stay with a GM truck just because you can upgrade so easy. A compact 1 ton trail rig is literally a bolt on deal with a K5. Try that with any other brand.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

18. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I like Chevy's cuz chicks dig guys in bowtie's. Seriously though, my dad prefer's Chevy, his dad prefers Chevy, and so on. I will never own anything but a Chevy. I've never had one leave me stranded on the road, and never had one in the shop for major repairs. My mom's Ford Exploder keeps my wrenches busy enough.

19. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Reasons...strong as heck, pulling EVERYBODY out on the trails. Easy to work on...fixing anything with minimal tools or parts. Being able to get parts, practically, at the corner beer store!! LOL!! Parts are so common and cheap that I've had most of them given to me FREE!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4GUNZ4X4Z,

I hope your wish comes true when I scream past you in my straight piped, black smoke belching powerstroke F350 one day.

"How many F*rds were in Top Truck? O.K. Where did IT place?
    I think we made a point!"

If you knew anything about TTC or 4 wheeling in general, It's not what you buy, it's what you build!!! Nothing in TTC came equipped like that from the factory. What you start with is unimportant. What you build it into is very important.

tx85GMCguy,

Horsepower is not the only thing you compare when you compare engines. You're way off the mark. Look at the torque curves of the larger V8 engines and you'll realize that on the street, horsepower means little to nothing at all. Low end torque is what makes something fun to drive anyway.

EDdaTree,

I've pulled plenty of IFS trucks back from the woods that you could call a Chevy. My buddy with the '79 F150 has too.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles