Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what makes my steering do that rerurn to center thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fright89, Jan 31, 2003.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

what makes my steering do that rerurn to center thing?
    how do i get mine to do it again?

new steering box,tie rod,connecting rod and stabilizer. all helped my front end but it still does not return to center comming out of the curves and it wanders alittle.

any help. thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Caster.

Sounds like you need MORE of it......

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Wandering can be caused by your toe not being right.I think caster angle has a little to do with return to center .

Setting your toe might fix both your problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

is that an easy adjustment? I will dig out my manual and take a look or let me know. also doing a search .

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Toe-In / Out is easy (I'd still take it to a shop with a real machine)...

Caster is not as easy. With a solid-axle truck the only way to rotate that steering axis is to install shims under the leafsprings....my guess is you installed a lift kit and it changed your caster angle???

A good alignment shop can do the toe-setting, and give you a measurement on the caster. Most of the trucks like ours want anywhere from 4 to 6 degrees of caster for a stable highway ride and that "return to center" behavior.

6. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

the lift is old. i did not put it on. it a 3'' i think with blocks in the back /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif it used to be fine but that return to center seemed to slowly fade away.

it is above freezing today in Mass. first time in about two weeks, so i am going out to take a look and do a little work on the blazer.
    it will get new springs soon, loose the blocks. could the front springs wearing out change the caster?
    i willl look at the shims too.

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

You mentioned that you replaced the steering box, could the adjustment just be too tight? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif When I re-adjusted my steering box I lost all return to center so I backed the adjustment off a little and it came back. It wasn't hard to turn or anything, just didn't return to center /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The return to center feel is a combination Caster and Steering Axis Inclination.

Caster is the tilt of the upper and lower ball-joints, forward or back when viewed from the side. Positive caster is when the upper joint is behind the lower (axle houseing tilts back slightly). G.M. specs for us is a whopping 8 degges, that ALOT.

There are 3 ways to adjust Caster
    - A off-set sleeve for the upper-ball joint stud can be installed.
    - A tapered steel shim can be installed behind the spindle
    - A tapered steel shim can be installed between the axle houseing and leaf-spring.

Steering Axis Inclination (SAI) is the arch of the steering knuckle as it travels from stop-to-stop. When viewed from the front, the upper ball-joint is set in-board slightly, causeing the knuckle to swing on a slight arch, the top of the arch will be streight ahead, and the lower part of the arch will be full steering lock left or right. The weight of the vehical will try to pull the knuckles to the top of the arch (streaight).
    SAI is not adjustable and is cast into the axle houseing.

Proper equipment is needed to preform alignments.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

isnt there a torsion bar in the mix as well?

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

no torsion bars on the 73-91 blazers. there on the 88 up pu's and 92 up blazer/burbs.
    I noticed your kenworth pic, you a driver??

11. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Has the arch gone out of the front springs? does the truck looked "jacked up" in the back? This could cause the problem.

12. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I think MJ was talking about the torsion bar inside the PS box. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif