Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what makes the difference?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by possum, Mar 7, 2002.

1. possum

possum Registered Member

Is a 3/4 ton Dana 44 the same as a 1/2 ton just with 8 lug hubs? And what is the difference between the 3/4 and 1T 14bolts? Are the axel housings bigger for one than the other?
    And on another note, is a 3/4 ton 14b with 4.56 gears worth $350?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i believe the brake size is larger on the 3/4 as well but not 100% on it.
    from knuckle in is same same
    the 14ff is a good axle, maybe even the best in light truck land, though that price seems a hair high to me for a condition unknown axle.
    if you can verify that it is in good working order I wouldnt say you were gettting ripped off at that price.
    the open versions are prefered over the gov loks

3. NoShow84

NoShow84 Registered Member

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 3/4 TON AND A 1 TON 14 BOLT FF SOME 3/4 TONS, HOW EVER, CAME WITH A SEMI FLOTTER 14 BOLT AND IN THAT CASE WOULD BE DIFFRENT. TO WHAT I KNOW THERE ALSO IS NO DIFF. ON THE DANA 44 EITHER.

4. possum

possum Registered Member

So a corporate 14ff, whether off a 3/4 or 1t is the same?

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

no
    spring pad widths vary
    the 3/4 ton will bolt in
    the 1tons have narrower spring pad widths and different shock mounts

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Not sure on the D44 but the 14ff the difference is spring pad and shock mount location, 3/4 ton are a bolt in and 1 tons need the mounts moved. The brakes are also different, 1 ton has the large brakes but I think the big brakes was an option on a 3/4 ton. Also look at the ebrake cables since you might have to modify them.
    3/4 ton 14ff with 4:56's if it is a good working complete axle yes it is worth $350.

7. NoShow84

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE SHOCK LOCATION YES THE 3/4 TONS DID COME WITH THE LARGER BRAKE OPTION

8. possum

possum Registered Member

So putting a 3/4t 14ff on my truck with the bigger brakes is the same as putting a 1t 14ff on by moving the spring perches and shock mounts? I'm trying to get an idea for what to look for in my junkyard scrounging trip. The guy there tried to tell me there were no C14s and that I must be referring to a Dana 60 or 70. I figured I'd go look for myself.

9. NoShow84

GM MADE IT EASY TO TELL THEIR AXLES ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THE PIG AND COUNT THE BOLTS IF IT HAS 14 BOLTS THAN IT'S A 14BOLT IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE DANA 60 HAS 10 BOLT (IF I'M WRONG PLEASE LET ME KNOW) NOT SURE ON THE DANA 70 I ALSO THINK THEY STARTED PUTTING THE 14BOLTS IN AROUND 76 OR 77 NOT POSSITIVE ON THE EXACT YEAR

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think there is several differences between the 3/4 ton and 1 ton 14 FF (not even considering the semi-floaters). Spring pad widths are different, shock mounts are different, and I believe the drums are bigger and/or wider. Wes (A.K.A. ThatK30Guy) would know for sure, as I incorrectly thought the same as you before.

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

on the D44, the rotors will be a little bigger and also 8 lug. On the 14 bolts, there is the SF and the FF. the FF can be under a 3/4 or a 1 ton...not sure if the SF was ever put under the 1 ton.