Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What master cyl to use..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big'nBadK5, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

for a disc/disc application? i searched and came up with nothing so i figured i would ask. i just pulled my old 1/2 ton MC off and it has that residual pressure valve in it for the rear drum brakes and that equals bad news for my disc brakes. so any advie on removeing it or getting a disc/disc MC that'll work would help alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well I know for a fact 4 wheel disk/disk '68 Corvettes didn't have residual valves, (I'd guess Camaro's too, but definitely disk/drum cars had residual pressure valves) and I'd be willing to bet anything with 4 wheel disks from GM would be the same.

'80(?) Firebird was also disk/disk, so that's another possible source, although I *think* that was a one year option, and not very common.

3. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

and you think that those will bolt up? someone must know for sure to use, i thought that his was a pretty common mod.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't tell you if they will work or not, sorry. Just know that any disk/disk GM application SHOULD not have a residual valve in the rear. You get into problems with the later disk/disk setups, such as the Impala. Not sure when the master cylinder mounting changed, but I would bet around the late 80's or early 90's.

Any reason a cadi application from 76-85 wouldn't work? I'd focus more on the '76-78 MC, but 79-85 would likely be similar, although setup for the smaller overall system. I'd like to get my hands on one of those service manuals, as they should discuss the master cylinder in depth, and since disks weren't standard on all cadi applications, differences should be noted.

Of course, GM used quite a few different styles, shapes, and sizes of master cylinders, so I'd think the *best* bet for fit at least, is to go to a parts store that has any of the MC's I mentioned, and take them out to the truck to compare. Of course, you can't easily tell if the threads for the brake lines are compatible though.

I thought someone on this board has the Firebird master cylinder, but it's been awhile. A search for "disk master cylinder" will probably give you a lot of reading, but you may find some more answers to your question.