Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What mileage are you getting with a trailer behind your cummins?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 55Willy, May 18, 2004.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Looking at deisel dodge ram, what kinda mileage are you people getting with yours. Looking at an ex cab, looks like a 4" kit with 35's on it.

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Jeremy,

I own a 99 CTD 4x4 dually. Last weekend I towed from Phoenix to Vegas and back, around 750 round trip.

I run a Edge EZ box, and run stock tire size and pull a 25' gooseneck 3 axle trailer. I had about 8k to 10K on the trailer. The trip to Vegas and back has some grades in it but not any mountain passes. I run a 5speed stick. I got on average around 16.5 MPG, and that's flogging it on the grades. That's calculated MPG not off the computer readout.

It's a little worse with the 4x4, better with the 2wd.

Rob

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a 99 CTD dually 4x4 and don't get near 16.5 when empty with no trailer... When I pull my gooseneck I get about 10 on the computer readout and when I pull my 35 foot fifth wheel I get about 9 mpg. That is with an automatic tranny and 3:55 gears.

John

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

pros and cons of manual vs auto. I have an auto behind my 6.2 in my burb and I feel it would pull much better with a manual.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

my 92 6.2 ext cab long bed with a 12x6 enclosed trailer (5 ft high inside) total extra weight was about 6000 lbs. Towed 350 miles, got 15ish mpg. @65ish mph.

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I have a 98 CTD and just pulled my enclosed trailer fully loaded with my truggy and tons of tools plus 2 jet skis behind up to washington from vegas about 1100 miles the total weight was right around 25,000 pounds and I still got about 9 MPG I was very impressed oh and it has 37" tires on it.

when I am pulling just a regular load with my truggy in my enclosed the weight is around 18k total with truck included and I get around 10 to 12 MPG depending on mountain passes and how fast im driving. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif