Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What model year?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave A, Jul 20, 2000.

1. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

O.K. , since I'm starting from scratch in my search for a K5 can anyone suggest a model year (or years) to look at a little closer? From the specs it seems that '80 was the only year that both the TH400 and NP205 were offered. Knowing that Murphy's law is in effect, I would like to keep it pre-computer.
    Thanks for any assistance.

2. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

it really depends on what you want. if pre-computer were your only requirement, i would say 86. last year of the carb. that means latest, greatest stuff.
    if it's component selection, it would be whichever year has whatever parts you want.
    full convertibles are nice, too.
    anyway, whats wrong with TBI?

i'm sure the gear-heads on here will throw out more suggestions for you, and reasons for those suggestions.

good luck on the search, and welcome back.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

For me its First Generation 69-72 K5!!
    The first time I saw one with the full covertable top off I had to have one! There are allot of GREAT choices so it's gonna be tuff to weed thru what you want but start writing down everything and go from there. Full convertable to ended in 75.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

100% 85!!
    then again i have a 85 so therefore i am bias for one

'85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll give you some of the reasons I chose my 89.

TBI 5 vacuum lines compared to the 34 vacuum lines on an 86 with a quadrajet
    Post 87 700R4 tranny
    Transfer is case is a not to bad NP-241
    In 89 they started moving to 30 spline axle shafts
    First year of the serpentine belt
    Last year that didn't have anti-lock brakes

And I loved the way it drove. <--that's the biggest key.
    To me I got the best of the options I wanted. It's really up to you to pick out the stuff you want and find it.

Kyle
    89K5

6. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

My concerns about a computer controlled K5 are: 1)Its harder to make performance mods to the motor, 2)Its harder to trouble shoot problems, 3)Its one more thing to break. These are my preconcieved ideas and I am by no means an expert. I'm not afraid to be corrected, thats why I'm here. I'm not too sure about serpentine belts either, my AC clutch on my '84 locked up once and stalled the motor. I was able to cut the belt and drive on. I want to build this Blazer using the K.I.S.S. principle. Thanks for the info. This board is a great thing.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, may I ask what is K.I.S.S. ?
    Also something came to mind, what state are you in? Smog laws is why I ask,performance and build up is limited somewhat on the dreaded somg test. Just a thought

8. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

89-91 are great. But the 69-72 are awesome too.
    Don't worry, whichever one you get - you'll love it!

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

All of the points you made are very valid. I agree with everyone of them. My previous vehicle was a 72 Chevelle, that I built on the KISS principle. I'll look at each of you concearns and try and help out some.

1. Performance mods ARE easier on a non-computer motor. However, I see enough high zoot late model camaros to make me think that there ARE things that can be done to pump up the performance. When you considder the late great Impalla SS that used virtually the same setup as what's in my truck, I see that performance is attainable. There can be a cost involved, but it's (to me) comprable to building an older motor.
    2. troubleshooting is really not that bad. It can get frustrating, but my old quadrajet (that I loved) on my chevelle gave me more problems. The ECM will store a LOT of info that will help you figure out whats going OR there are shops all over the place that will slap the 'puter on it and let you know within 1 min.. I do the troubleshooting on mine without any real dificulty. On pretty much any motor it can only be a few things. Air, fuel, spark. Justslip through those and figure out what's happening. I'm not nervous around the FI stuff anymore, as a matter of fact, I'm pretty darn comfortable. It took me all of 15 min. to rebuild my throttle body. Total time to pull it, rebuild it, and reinstall it ws around 45 minutes. Works for me. I just replaced all the sensors on mine, which is something I shoudl have done from the start, just for the sake of knowing the history of them. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do all this.
    3. Sure it is, I knew that going in and still felt it was worth the risk. Things are going to break. But I do have a spare ECM that I picked up at the boneyard just in case. Haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know it's in the parts bin if I need it.
    4. The serpantine belt is outstanding as far as I'm concearned. It's a heck of a lot easier to change one out and yes if one breaks you lose everything, I've always carried spare belts. My AC froze on my car. Started a nice fire so I had this in my mind as well. When I bought my spare belt, I also hunted around till I found one a little shorter. That way, if the AC craps out, I pull the long one off and slap the short one on, routing around the AC. I only need a rachet and a socket to change this. Stuff I carry with me anyway.

Since I use mine daily, the added convenience of starting easier on cold days and better miliage far outweighed the ideas of going with an older carberated Blazer. I've had good luck with both FI and Carberated vehicles so I'm not bashing non-FI vehicles. They are great, but so far, the FI has been fairly trouble free. So far, it has been less high maintenance than my old chevelle was. I may have gotten a truck that was built on a Wecnesday too, but for my money, I'll stick with the 89.

Hope this helps some, I'm sure it confused you a little more.

Kyle
    89K5

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

K.I.S.S.
    KEEP
    IT
    SIMPLE
    STUPID [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

11. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

K.I.S.S.= Keep It Simple Stupid! As for smog laws, I'm in MO and I've had people from different parts of the state tell me different things. If I want the straight dope I'll have to go to the source.

12. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid

...kinda why I like my 78! Easy to work on, crawl under, etc.! I have the half top - never had it off though, but still nice to know I have that option. I also have the sliding windows - great for added ventilation when camping. Hmm - what else? I'll get back. Of course, I love the looks of the late 70's!!!

behemoth K5

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

14. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Lots of opinons here, but I like the 82's. Not just because I own one, but because I don't have to mess with the cadallic converter(spelling) My 2 cents. I like the full convertibles to.

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

If it was me buying I would get one with the TBI, because I am sick of my carb spitting and sputtering on steep hills.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker kit,33x12.5 goodyear mtr, and 15x10 bajas ordered!

16. Dave A

Dave A Registered Member

Hmmm, after looking at a couple of weeks worth of Truck Trader I'm realizing its easier to find a later model in good shape than an earlier model. Guess that only makes sense eh? Man, shopping for a K5 is one kind of shopping I dont mind! All of these different points of view are really making me think. Thanks.

17. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i cant tell you which is best, everyone can their reasons to why their year, a particular year, their heros year is the best. i can tell you why I love the 77-80 years.
    1) they have the toughest overall running gear for the k5 lineup (i am talking stock). you get a 350, a good tranny (auto and manual), the indestructable 205, dana 44 front (sometimes a 10bolt), a 12 bolt rear, manual hubs (auto came too), just plain ruggedness.
    2) the look. the in your face brick wall grill, nice round eyes, areodynamics.....whatever.
    3) all the later model stuff swaps and bolts right in!!!!! the best of both worlds!!!
    4) cheaper to buy used. no guilt when you damage it.
    5) oh, almost forgot, i have owned 2 78s, (even though had the oppurtunity to buy a 90 at one time...great deal but declined)

Knife.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Naa, you can fix that sputtering up a hill sindrome!
    My Edlebrock 750Q-Jet has yet to let me down except for on time when I set my rig up on the passengers side wheels in a sand dune and it did die then until I got it back on all four then it fireup even on an extream angle[​IMG]

19. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Kyle, unless you have swapped an LT1 into your Blazer, your TBI induction system is nothing like what is on an Impala SS. The only thing they have in common is that they are both types of fuel injection. That said, the TBI motors do offer better mileage and driveability, and are actually simpler than any carburated engines have been since the early '70s. I love my '70 Blazer with it's Q-Jet, but the pickup and the Suburban with their TBI motors have their strong points too.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I,ve owned both non computer carbeurated, and later model tbi K5s. I currently have a 1989 Blazer with a 5.7L, and love it. It seems to be the BEST of the old and new. Personally I like the computer controlls. With a good scanner, they are simple to work on. And I like the TBI on, and off road(no flooding problems). With the automatic od trans I get an honest 18 mpg at 65 on the freeway. The best I could get out of a carb was 12 or 13 mpg on a good day.
    There are many engine mods that are designed for, and work well with computers. I get great performance with headers, flowmasters,tbi spacer, and a super-chip in the comp and all comply with smog laws.
    I used to think that the older simpler trucks were better. But all my vehicles are computer and injected and I have a lot fewer troubles and work on them less. The main thing I dont like about the newer Blazers-Yukons ect is the independant front suspension. It is much weaker than the solid front axle my 89 has. My 89 has a great and comfortable ride but still feels like a truck. It is real fun to drive.