Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What mods recquired to install shorty headers...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Dec 2, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My neighbor's wife said her hubby had a set of shorty headers for his 83 silverado that he never used. $80! Beside getting the exhaust to match up to them, what else would I have to do? Right now I just have stock manifolds.....oh yea they are for a 350

2. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

other than making the pipes hook up to the headers, you shouldn`t have to do anything but bolt them on.

3. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I got some of those cheep block hugger/shorty headers that were a V style. I need to notch my engine mount on both sides so they would clear. It didn't need much just 1/4 inch or so.

4. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Since we are on the subject of headers I just got a set of hedman headers for $30 for my K5 I'm sooo happy. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. stallion85

Thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Since we are on the subject of headers I just got a set of hedman headers for $30 for my K5 I'm sooo happy. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same ones save yourself some problems and get the copper header gasket for the collector and the exhause manifold gasket. All the others would leak after about 6 months regardless if the headers came loose or not.

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have a heat sheild for your starter motor. I have had Headers cause some heat absorbtion problems with starters motors in the past.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have a heat sheild for your starter motor. I have had Headers cause some heat absorbtion problems with starters motors in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya me too I had forgotten about that. I also ended up wrapping me headers which helped tremendously. This is what I used to wrap mine. Clicky here! 893-11002 was the one I used! HAPPY HEADERS TO YOU /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If they are shorty headers for a 83 Chev 350/305 1/2 ton they should bolt right in and hook up to your stock Y pipe with no mods. The exhaust system is the same for K5s and trucks up until 87 when trucks went IFS.
    You also dont need a heat sheild for your starter with shorty headers.

10. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    If they are shorty headers for a 83 Chev 350/305 1/2 ton they should bolt right in and hook up to your stock Y pipe with no mods. The exhaust system is the same for K5s and trucks up until 87 when trucks went IFS.
    You also dont need a heat sheild for your starter with shorty headers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word