Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What motor should I get.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhellwig, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

The mtor in my blazer decided to let go today. Well, it still runs but makes a weird whistling pop back through the intake and knocks.

I am planning on upgrading to a turbo400 ,208 or 241 or 205 or doubler205 or something with the tcase and d60 14bff combo.

I was considering going with the 350 H.O that gm preformance has. I plan on doing mud boggs mostly with some trails. Probaly not any rocks.

Just woundering what everyones opinion is on the motor choice. Money is not to much of an object as of now.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, if money isn't a big issue, I'd go with a built 383 stroker. The reason for staying with a small block is because they rap up quicker then the big block does and that's a good thing in mud.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

The 350 H.O. is a good motor but if you have a fairly good knowledge of engine building you can make alot better hp and tq for the same amount of money. For example you could buy the gm goodwrench 290 hp 326 ft lb 350 then throw some dart heads on it and have a 380 hp 400+ ft lb 350 for about 300 bucks more than a 350 h.o.

330 hp is a huge difference over stock and you'll feel it every part of the power band. It'll have about as much hp at 2000 rpm as your stock motor had at 5300. A good Mudder is nothing more than good power and tires.

the H.O. should get the job done with power to spare.

4. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

allrighty then

there is no sub for cubic inchs. a big block is the way to go :D

5. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I don't want to feed one though. And that moto is overused on this forum.

I could get one of those 572's :D :D :D :D if I was rich and had a death wish.

6. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

Hello

Hay man so what you are saying is that you are wanting info on 350 ci motors. crate motors what about a jasper engine. or are they just one step above a autozone engine.They also have performance engines. How about edelbrock crate engines they have a bunch of moters with diff horse an tq ratings. I went to there websight an got a free catalog with these engines in it . I hope i helped a little :o

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

:thinking: ..i know where there is a 426 hemi, all ready to be installed... :thinking:

that would be fun in a k5.. :D

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

There's no replacement for displacement, go big block :D :D

Also about the "Jasper engines", living here in Jasper, Indiana I would not reccommend their engines, they have a rate of 1/3, one out of every 3 engines they build go out, and people in Jasper prefer not to go to them, its always the people out of town that buy up their stuff, just a little insight about Jasper engines and transmission.

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I recomend a Brad Anderson BA-98 engine. Most of the teams in Top Fuel run them. One of these should you get you through a mud pit in about 4 or 5 seconds :D.

11. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

12. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Its not that hard to build a fairly reliable 383 with 425-450HP and 450 lb. ft. torque. That will get you through the mud. GM sells one ( I believe its a zz383, 425HP 480 pounds torque with 6000RPM redline). That would be the way to go. Im sure theres many reputable engine shops out there that will build something similar with a warranty.
    I run a built 383 putting out about that much power in my 73 K20 and love it. I just know that the TH350 isnt gonna last long before I need to rebuild it to make it handle the power. :eek: