Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What motor you guys runnin?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Calclips, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I'm gonna be building a motor for a mud toy pretty soon, and I was just wondering what you all are runnin'. I'm looking for a 350 (no big block yet too expensive) and need some pointers.

2. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

im running a roller motor out of a newer model truck. it runs really smooth, yet has a good bit of power. its stock except for edelbrock performer intake and carb. it almost runs too smooth as i like a good rough idle. i plan on adding headers and msd ignition soon.
    when you start building, you can contact any cam company (comp cams, crane, etc) and you can give them some info and they will recommend what grind you should run for what you want to do with it

keith

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Sweet, thanks for that lil bit of info. I'll have to call Crane or Comp and find me a good cam. I got a buddy who may part with a 350 thats on a stand in his garage, and I've always heard that a cam was a good way to breathe new life into a good motor.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run a mild 350 now... sure would like a nice 383 tho! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

383 stroker......me likes! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

A stroker would be nice, but I don't really wanna have to tear the whole rotating assembly apart. I'd like to do a cam, intake, carb, headers, and possibly a little bit of head work to it. How much do you guys think that I'll have to spend to get make a decent motor?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm running the cheapest Goodwrench crate moter that they sell. $1200 from Scoggins-Dickey. I changed the cam to an Extreme 4x4 from Comp along with a K kit that I got with the cam, Perfomer intake, headers, high output HEI, and mostly stock aside from that. Extremely reliable and plenty of power, and still passes CA smog. </font color>

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

454 here. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Unfortunately, it runs like crap right now. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I'm waiting for a good, cool day so I can pull the valve covers off to watch the rocker arms and check to see if I have a flat cam anywhere.

If this is the case, I'm gonna be installing a new cam soon. I've been keeping in touch with Rene (tRustyK5) about certain cams and he's been checking the specs of each cam. He already has suggested a few for me to look into.

Might want to send him a PM and see what he can come up with. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

A very tired TBI 350.

10. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, that's the one. Looks like the price has gone up a bit since I got mine though. </font color>

12. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Did you ever happen to run this motor without the 4x4 cam in it? How did it do? It'd be nice to have an all new motor... peace of mind kind of thing, but I don't know if I wanna go swapping cams into it right away. (won't that void the warranty?)

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I never ran it without the cam so i don't know what it would be like without it. As far as the warranty, I was basically told by a few different guys at a few different dealers that so longas you don't go all radical with the cam that they would never know the difference if anything happened. I'm not too worried about it, if anything happened I'd just get the original one and throw it back in before screaming warranty /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. I figured what better time to cam it then when it's sitting all nice and clean with nothing bolted to it? </font color>

14. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Well thank you very much! This is all very good info, and I think I'm starting to get myself heading into the right direction. Thanks alot!

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

350 right now but soon to be a built sbc400 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I too cannot decide witch way to go! I have always wanted a 383 but $$ to doit the way I want is too much. So doing what Shaggy did is the best power for the $$. I guess it really boils down to what your going to use your truck for? I am mostly a trail cruzer and crawler so lots of HP is not really what I need. Ya its more fun on the street and open areas for muddin but I don't seam to do that much anymore!
    GM has a crate 383 now too /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    I also like the 350RamJet crate motor! Now that is cool /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    Good Luck

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ZZ4 350 in the '87 K5.
    ZZ502 in the '83 Jimmy

Lots of power! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

From the options that I've seen... what shaggy did is the best power for the $$. 1400 bucks for a BRAND NEW motor... not too bad.

19. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

im running that motor with intake and headers. it runs real strong and smooth. best 1500 i ever spent.

20. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Your running it right out of the box with an intake and headers? Does it got the balls to push 35's or possibly 38's, or do you think that a cam would be needed for that? I'm looking to get this truck running as cheap as I can without cutting corners that I'm gonna regret.