Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What movie was this? And also some strange random thoughts...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Apr 13, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

First the movie, then my strange thoughts (tell me if you think I'm whacko, or if you have the same thoughts).

I've been wanting to ask this for a while, and movies seem to be popular now...although mine doesn't have a K5.

It's been a while, so I may have some of the details wrong, but basically - I saw this movie about 10-15 years ago. It's like two movies in one, where it shows the same guy living two different lives, one good and one bad, based upon something small that happened to change the one life into a bad one.

It shows him running down some steps to get on a subway two seperate times. One time when he runs down everything goes well, he boards the subway, and his life is great. Then it shows him running down the steps and he gets his coat caught on the railing, misses his subway which puts him later in time, and everything from this point on sucks for him. The whole movie shows the same guy leading these two completely different "what if" lives based on a simple distraction that could put you in a different place at a different time.

In my daily life, I often wonder - did I just kill him? did I just save his life? did they just kill me? or save my life? or make me rich?

It's scary to me to think about it, but everything that happens to you will change the entire rest of your life compared to if it didn't happen.

What if I need to have the guy at TacoBell repeat the total for my order. Because of me, his life is altered from what it would have been if I never came in contact with him. What if this small delay saves his life by making him miss a fatal accident by 1 second? What if it kills him by causing him to be there at "just the right time" for an accident? Let's take this another step... what if a 3 second delay caused by me makes him catch another red light on the way to WalMart that he would have had green if I never met him, thus causing a 2 minute delay. Then this guy is in WalMart doing his shopping, and just misses seeing and old friend who just walked around the corner. Had I not caused a 3 second delay which led to a 2 minute delay, this guy would have met his old friend and talked for 7 minutes and set up a future date to meet and talk about how each other is doing. So now I have delayed this guy 2 minutes and 3 seconds, but saved him 7 minutes by not talking to his friend, which puts him 4 minutes and 57 seconds ahead of where he would have been if he met me. Now he walks out of WalMart and gets robbed and stabbed. What if he was 4 minutes and 57 seconds later coming out of the store? Maybe he wouldn't have been robbed? Now he lays in the hospital for 2 days with a stab wound and is visited by some family members, and by visiting this guy all of their lives from here on out will be changed also. While in the hospital he misses out on buying a winning lottery ticket and someone breaks into his home.

Now, because I delayed this guy for 2 seconds he missed seeing his friend, got robbed and stabbed, stayed 2 days in hospital, his house got robbed, and he missed on on being a millionare. The lives of his family who called or visited have also been changed. Now when he gets out of the hospital he is about 2 days behind where he could have been... all because of me.

:o

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You're scaring me now...........................

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You better watch what you do... you don't know how it will affect others...

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Ever since I saw that movie I try to distance myself from people and not have them do anything special for me... I guess I'm paranoid about changing other people fate.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There was a movie called "Run Lola Run" with a very similiar storyline. They show it twice and how one small event changed the whole outcome. It was about a chick though. Good movie, I thought.

I think that thinking about it at the level, is going to cause nothing but problems. In the end, I think it leads back to the age old "is it destiny or can you make your own outcome", and I do not believe anyone in the universe, thus far, as provided any tangible evidence to conclude it's either one.

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Cool, thanks for the info. I will have to see if I can find it somewhere. It does sound real similar to the other movie I saw.

6. 73k5blazer

Ok,it was three scenarios they showed.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Franka Potenta, or thereabouts, the chick in the Bourne Identity and part of Supremacy.

-- A

8. 73k5blazer

Yeah, she's definitely easy on the eyes.

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

You should NEVER watch the Butterfly Effect! :haha:

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

You need to double up on your meds.....

Don't watch the Butterfly Effect.... You may never be the same...

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ahhh... the good ole' chaos theory. I think about this stuff sometimes but its quite overwhelming. we have no control over it so why even worry.

12. 73k5blazer

I just heard a sound byte that made me think.

The IBM motto. THINK.:thinking:

"wir konnen alles sein doch jetzt bist du auf dich gestellt"

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I thought it was "THIMK."

Ahh, I see, THIMK was a parody...

[​IMG]

-- A

14. 73k5blazer

I need shampoo.

15. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

or the wicker man w/ nocholas cage. that freaked me out for days

16. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Why? Because Nicholas Cage was shockingly bad in that huge steaming pile of a movie? Boy did that movie stink.

"Sliding Doors" Starring Gwyneth Paltrow is about a woman who makes / misses the subway and the corresponding story to each event.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  17. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Crap I read this whole thread. Does that mean I am now three minutes behind having been able to cure cancer? Or three minutes ahead of starting WWIII? Maybe I'll win the Nobel Peace prize, or die in a coup as my ruthless dictatorship crumbles. Win a Grammy? Become homeless? Most likely, I'll just continue being average and unremarkable. :dunno:

18. jt512

jt512 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, after reading this thread........I am now a few minutes closer to the end of my work day :D and I have been successfully delayed from doing anything productive as well :D

19. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Must be nice to be living the dream!:haha: