Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What mufflers are you locals running?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BurbinOR, Jan 15, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Doing an exhaust system on the Burb in the next week or two - finally. Posted in the tech forum asking for feedback on Flowmaster 70 series - I had true duals on the K5 - twin cats, twin Flowmaster 40's. Not obnoxious but want a bit less noise for the Burb. Post up your combo, including if a cat is in place and if you are two into one (y-pipe like I most likely will do after a HD cat) or true duals.

Thanks........... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i am running true duel 2.5in exhaust no cats and the mufflers are what are called blanks. they are spendy but have a lifetime warranty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and i have no cats. i like the blanks because they are only loud if you get on the loud peddle. if you slowly run the rpms up it is fairly quiet but if i rapidly run the rpms up it sounds damn good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

Im running dual 40 series Flowmasters with an H pipe and no cats. the H pipe seemes to quiet them down a bit and if your running cats thats going to make it even quieter. you cant beat the sound of Flowmasters /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

true dual, 2.5" exhaust and dual flowmaster 40's with no cats, but then you already know the sound of that....

If your looking for a nice quiet cruising sound but with a hint of aggressiveness...yeah, I'd go with the 70's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Well Frank, I am the odd man out here. I don't run FM's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I wanted to stay quiet until I hit it on the skinny pedal. I run full 2 1/2" into a set of turbos. Obviously no cats on it. They have the low deep rumble not the tinny sound of the FM's. I like how quiet they are until I really get on it. I had FM's (both 40 and 70 series). They were just too loud as a DD for me. But then again, I am a self admitted whoosy! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Kinda funny..I can't stand loud exhaust..but I don't mind 1000 watts of tunage cranked up till my ears bleed /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Must be the gee-tar player in me... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

True duals, no cats /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif , through 2 Flowmaster 40 series deltaflows (they sound very different from the original flows, no tinny sound). My whole system is just over 3 feet long and totally homemade thanks to the Caddy motor and no money.

My setup is very loud at an idle and when I am on the loud peddle but very quiet at cruisin speed. I have heard Flowmaster 70's and they are very quiet with just enough rumble to them to sound a little aggressive. I have heard Borla's also and they are quiet at an idle and cruisin but sound aggressive (not loud) when getting on it.

7. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

2.25" true duals into 40 series flowmaster delta-flows.

Gotta love it.

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I am doing the exhaust on my burb next week.. I am going no cat and true dual exhaust into 2 50 series flowmasters.. I want a little rumble but not a lot.. I'll let you now next week..

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have Hole Master mufflers custom built by FB5.
    They are not realy all that quiet though, but the shop has plenty of earplugs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Mine are Flowmaster, not sure which model(PO installed them). I can say with ceretainty that they take a lot of abuse...I have a nice dent in one from my driveshaft when I lost a u-joint...muffler works awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

mufflers? whats that? strait pipes and man is it loud.

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have true duals with turbo mufflers. Nice and quiet at idle with a good tone under a hard acceleration. Not that I get much hot rod style driving in with my SM465 though /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have 2.25 pipe with manifolds and 3 chambered flows....its nice and quiet till i romp on it

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

3" single exhaust, flowmasta fity.

j

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

When ya pop open the console, grab the sh1t tape and stuff some in yer ears for the ride home then it is loud.

16. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Headers and 2.5" dual 40 series flowmasters. Sounds sweet with the cam I just put in.

17. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

3" single Dynomax (14", flat, rectangular shaped) The single 3" makes for a nice high, out of the way tailpipe and has plenty of flow. Sounds great on the trail, just a little loud for me droning down the freeway going to the trail. Not my DD /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

JBA shorties, Y pipe into Flowmaster collector, 3 in. pipe, hi flow cat, 3 inch in and out Flowmaster, 3 inch tail pipe w/chrome tip ... I'd like to try a Dyno-max or a Hooker muffler for a slightly different tune. My set up is not too terribly loud, but I would like even less interior drone... Let me know what you find. I had some Hush Thrush mufflers on my 68 302 Mustang that sounded TUFF. About a foot and a half of 2 1/4 pipe from the header flange, then the mufflers. No cross-over, no tail pipes. Loud & proud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

mufflers??
    none here

89 6.2 "deezel" 2.5" pipe into 3" to 4" tipes /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif LOUD but not anoying