Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What next?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigRed71, Sep 24, 2002.

1. BigRed71

BigRed71 Registered Member

I need a little expert advice from whoever is willing to give it. I have a '71 K5 with a 3" lift on 33 x 12.5 BFG MT's. I have replaced all the rubber underneath (except body mounts), added a front sway bar, Rancho 5000's at each corner. Now my problem. Anytime I'm over 50-55 mph, it feels like she's gonna shoot off the road at anytime. My friends absolutely refuse to ride in the backseat because of the bounce. My question is how can I stabalize my ride. There aren't alot of big rocks in N Central Texas so I'm considering lowering it, adding shocks or double the steering stabalizer. I also have new springs in the back so it sits a little higher in the back and the tires are toed in just slightly to cut down on the "wandering", but I'm still having trouble. I LOVE THIS TRUCK, but if I can't get a decent highway driver out of her, she's gotta go. Help. Thanks in advance. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Well, after 31 years it's probably time to replace the body mounts. Go for the polyurethane ones. Also check the entire front end over...ball joints, tie rod ends, power steering box, etc. Make sure everything is good and tight. One other overlooked item (at least for me) was the rag joint connecting the steering column to the gear box. It's just made of reinforced rubber and I found mine almost split in two...that would have been an ugly scene if if ripped apart!

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

When you day "shoot off the road" do you mean that it "pulls" when you go over bumps, or that it's just so damn bouncy that you can't control it?

My guess (having been there myself on my '72) is that the springs on that lift kit might be REALLY stiff. I had a Rough Country lift on mine when I bought it. The front spring pack was only 3 leaves, and was about 1-3/8" thick. That means that each leaf was almost 1/2" thick!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Can you say STIFF?!?!?! The rate was something like 700 Lbs/In!

It was miserable to drive and very uncomfortable. I now have a MUCH softer spring setup and the truck is nice to drive now.

Here's a simple test: If you disconect your front shocks and go for a drive and it feels the same....odds are that your springs are WAY too stiff. If it suddenly "floats" around and bobs up and down....it might be a shock that's too stiff for the spring.

Anyway....that's a few ideas to get you started.

4. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider is the tires. If you have some cheap, bias ply tires, they may not perform well on the street. Are all four tires the same manufacture & type. Cars can get kinda "squirrely" if they have a mix of radials & bias tires.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, I see that you say you have some radial tires, and a sway bar added, and all the "rubber" has been replaced. I'm not sure what you mean by that but good job. Now heres the questions. Have you checked the steering shaft, balljoints, tie rod ends and steering box mounting? You say the front tires are toed in a bit (hopfully not too far) what is your caster set at? And did you use a lifted steering arm for the lift?
    Your on the way to recovery, Don't think you have to get rid of the Blazer. You can figure it out. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Have the tires rechecked to make sure the're balanced properly. Just one more possibility /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. BigRed71

Thanks for the info /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . I have replaced the tie-rod ends, ball joints,and checked the steering box. I have not checked the rag joint, but will do so. I've gone poly with everything. It'll still be there long after I'm gone.

8. BigRed71

Just too damn bouncy. The best way to describe it is that it feels like the front end is floating (sort of like what you described, but with the shocks). This is my first 4x4 so I'm unfamiliar with lifts. I have 5 leaves and a "steel block" about 2 inches thick between the leaves and axels. Thanks for the help, I REALLY wanna get this rolling right.

9. BigRed71

Five (incl. spare) brand new BFG MT's. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

10. BigRed71

Have not checked the steering shaft. What am I looking for? By "rubber" I mean pretty much anything related to the suspension and handling (ball joints, bushings, tie-rod ends, etc.) I checked around the steering box and everything looks solid. The toe-in, mounting & balancing were done by my local 4x4 shop. I didn't install the lift so I don't know about the steering arm. You've got a really cool Blazer. Thanks for the tips. I plan to keep at it until my knuckles are gone.

11. BigRed71

Will do. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Look at the shaft that goes to the bottom of the steering box and attaches to the axle (the drag link) It should be almost straight, not angled alot. If you don't have that right you will get some of the problems described here. Also see what the caster was set at the shop should have at least shown you a print out of your specs. Anything less than 4 degrees is unacceptable.
    Thanks, for the complement I'm still getting used to the no door thing............and rain! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

unballenced tires will bounce and wobble a lot.mine are like that right now.i had them ballenced when i bouight them but after about six months of wheeling they were pretty bouncy again and now i just live with it because i just dont think any tire over 35 inches will ballence very good